ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe if the software support limiting the color profile displayed to sRGB?

2. FinchX

FinchX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's what I was wondering. Dell XPS laptops have the PremierColor software utility that lets you pick between sRGB, Adobe RGB, and so on, and it applies to everything -- like the menu options on a standalone wide gamut display.

I was hoping Lenovo had something similar. It seems like a major oversight for a wide gamut display.

3. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    iirc you should be able to create a srgb LUT based on this display and use that in your editing software

that's what I know of using displaycal

4. NYCtech

NYCtech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I REALLY love this notebook. I so badly want its screen. Laptopmag giving it 5/5, are they confused, this isnt an apple lol, I think even they have lost their fan boi ways of late. https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon#

It reminds me of my XPS 14, or any quality thinkpad. Awesome keyboard, great track pad and like my XPS 14 an even brighter screen, good battery life.

But I cant afford a new Carbon X1, not in the next couple years. But I want one now, I want HDR and dont want to be missing out on all the great HDR content, along with it makes a much better image editing device. I dont do a lot of batch files, but I do narrow down my shots to keepers that I work on as a hobby.

Is there any way possible for me to transfer the Gen6 screen to say a gen 4 machine which costs very little used?

I know with the AW 13 to even contemplate it, that requires the entire chassis, so this might be the same desl

huntnyc likes this.
  5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    eDP port probably doesn't support it, let alone the vbios.

It is possible to do 2560x1440 with T42/30-S model with Javi-jie's @RMSMajestic adapter, but not sure if the T42/30 non S will receive a FHD conversion kit.

6. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So do I :). But unfortunately I have confirmed with two external sources running the latest (released) version of Windows 10. At this time dxdiag returns false for HDR Support and you won't get neither HDR10 backwards compatibility nor Dolby Vision support.

I've also come across a Lenovo blog post ( http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/eye-popping-laptops-from-lenovos-latest-thinkpad-x1-series/) with the following footnotes:

So, maybe in the next big Windows 10 release (I couldn't get anyone to test it with an insider's build).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  7. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    I think Dolby Vision HDR support in Windows will be enabled in the next Windows 10 release – which is version 1803. Windows 10 1803 will be released very soon, a release in this month is expected.

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  8. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I find the fingerprint reader on X1C6 needing your finger to be excessively perfect on the sensor before it unlocks. The P71 and X1C5 in comparison is more tolerant in terms of slightly misaligned finger placement or imperfect angle.

Pretty annoying.

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  9. fapiha66

fapiha66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually the standard screen on X1C6 is alreay very nice IMO, at least compared to my old HP touchSmart 15.6. The color is much more vivid and more contrast as well (whereas the color on HP is washed out).

Funny thing is before getting this X1C6, I was pretty happy with the HP display, thought it was already good enough for gaming. No comparison no complain I guess:)

10. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    X1C5 is 262K colors, at least the one that I got.

X1C6 is 16.2 (6+2frc), same panel but different revision compared to the previous gen

Panel lottery game still applies here