ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Happy owner here.
    Starting this thread to discuss anything related with the 6th Gen X1 Carbon.

2. Anthony Accioly

Reputations:
    Guess I'll start with a request. If anyone knows an authorized shop in Glasgow able to change my keyboard to US ANSI without voiding my warranty please let me know (nice Scottish people please don't get mad at me. My problem is exclusively with ISO keyboards).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    qwertqwertt likes this.
  3. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for starting this. Any idea on how to get discounts, and also are the three configurations they show on their site truly the only builds they will sell you? I want the 1080 screen (prefer battery life to higher resolution, and the 16 Gig RAM, 1 TB SSD, but they only have that in the higher res screen.

4. Anthony Accioly

Reputations:
    Hi @jefflackey, where are you buying it? Here in the UK you can customize your build: https://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-6th-Gen/p/22TP2TXX16G. If you really want the simple FHD screen just select the first model and upgrade memory / SSD (just keep in mind that the price will be almost the same as the WQHD HDR version).

If you are in the US I'm not sure if / when Lenovo will allow you to customize your laptop. However you may find third party sellers that can do it for you. I've sent an email to @Ted@HIDevolution asking about the X1 Carbon but he hasn't replied to me yet. Maybe you should ask around in the forum (shouldn't be hard to find a sales rep for Lenovo in the US).

About discounts: Lenovo just had a President's Day Sale. You may also want to ask your Employer if he has an agreement (or wants to make an agreement) with Lenovo. You can easily save 10% + with a business discount.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  5. jefflackey

Reputations:
    @Anthony Accioly thanks for the reply. Yes, buying in the U.S. - never thought of 3rd party sellers so good idea, I'll check with them.

6. ChuckDavis666

ChuckDavis666 Newbie

Reputations:
    jefflackey and Anthony Accioly like this.
  7. jefflackey

Reputations:
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    You'd need an entirely new laptop to change the keyboard.

What you can do is return it and buy a new one.

To avoid restocking fee, you can pretend the laptop has multiple issues. But I believe in EU you don't have restocking fee.

9ac3 likes this.
  9. Anthony Accioly

Reputations:
    Are you sure? I'm just asking because I found hardware / service manuals for older generation machines with full instructions on how to replace the keyboard.

Unfortunately Lenovo UK does not sell laptops with US / ANSI keyboards and third party sellers wouldn't accept my business discount :(.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    The issue is that entire top panel has the keyboard layout cut into it.

To replace the keyboard means to replace the bottom chassis (not the panel).

Anthony Accioly likes this.