Thinkpad x1 carbon 5th (2017) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by hunterdt, Feb 17, 2017.

1. amazingdave5

amazingdave5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am planning to buy either an X1 Carbon or T470s in the next couple days. I've read some comparisons but I'm still torn. Is the keyboard the same on both models? are thermals better on the T470? I'm leaning towards the X1 carbon, but if the T470 runs cooler and has a better keyboard, I think I would choose it. Also, anyone have any tips on getting the best price?

2. lillumultipass99

lillumultipass99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new laptop and I may have settled for the X1 Carbon 5th Gen. I first saw an Art Technica Review about the X1 Yoga that looked cool (A few years ago I had bought a Yoga but despite its interesting qualities was much too slow). However, upon looking further, it seems battery life is disappointing. Hence, the X1 Carbon, which I had already looked at about 1 year ago (the 3rd or 4th gen?).

I am looking for a lightweight laptop with a good screen, long battery life and one which is not slow (in day-to-day operations and boot/startup).

Will the X1 Carbon fit this description (I am considering at the high-end resolution with 1TO SSD, 16 G Ram and the WQHD screen) ? According to what I have read yes.

However, I have seen people complain about battery life. I usually use things like Chrome, Excel, Word, Evernote, a bit of Matlab and some gaming (CCGs such as Eternal, Faeria, Gwent¦) as well as services like Onedrive, Dropbox in the background.

Do you think I can achieve something like 8h battery life ?

Other questions :

- Does the WQHD screen reduces battery life vs the FHD?

- Has anyone tried to charge it with an external battery ? I have an Anker one that I use for my MB pro but I wonder whether it will work with the X1, just in case¦

- Anything else I should be aware of ?

Thanks !

3. colliderz

colliderz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After getting used to this dull display I am facing another irritating issue. I hear this small clicking/buzzing/crackling sound under the keyboard when I mouse my mouse or trackpad and when I load a webpage or any other light activity. What could be the problem?

4. lillumultipass99

lillumultipass99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am finally going to receive this beauty on Monday!

Anything I should do when I receive it, e.g., things to download/remove, settings to optimize battery life ?
    thanks!

5. Edwinkhk

Edwinkhk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know why all X1 Carbon Gen 5 doesn't seem to support the WiGig dock?
    My understanding is the WiGig Dock requires Intel Wireless-AC 18265 chipset but almost all of the X1s offers online uses 8265.
    This is such a great function and I am heart broken not having able to do this...
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Edwin

6. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My X1 Carbon Gen 5 just went dead yesterday while I was using it and won't POST. I tried the emergency reset button and have no luck. It's going to Flextronics to be fixed tomorrow.