Thinkpad x1 carbon 5th (2017) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by hunterdt, Feb 17, 2017.

1. tinytop69

tinytop69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine just came in the mail and I'm in love with it so far. Still getting everything set up on it. I'll be checking my battery life tomorrow and see how far I get with undervolting the cpu.

Also, what should I be looking for idle temps? Mine are hovering around 47-50. Could be because its still a new laptop so its indexing/caching/whatever goes on in new laptops.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. Danilo

Danilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your math does not seem right: 56Wh / 7W = 8h. Seems pretty decent if that's your average.

3. tinytop69

tinytop69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I just got done setting up some profiles in throttlestop and undervolting the CPU/iGPU. the results have been pretty great so far. full power on AC with the performance profile, the max temps were 75c (rarely) and average temp was around 50c with surfing and productivity software. My battery profile really lengthens the life of the laptop as well. The power is heavily toned down on this profile, but I was able to stream from kodi perfectly for 1hr 34min at max brightness, and it took the battery from 74% to 61%. Temps stayed somewhere around 37-38 degrees for the duration as well which made it very comfortable to watch while on my lap. Fans never kicked on as well. I'm pretty amazed by this machine so far, its just built like a rock and the performance is very admirable for a notebook of this size.

I was wondering what everyone is getting on their Cinebench CPU tests. My highest was 313.

huntnyc likes this.
  4. colliderz

colliderz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey. I am really upset with my yellow tint FHD screen. Does someone has some ICC profile to solve this huge issue for me.... Thanks in advance!

5. grenadier

grenadier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which processor did you choose for your X1C5 and how much have you been able to undervolt it?

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Actually the X1C G5 is artificially capped at 75c max CPU temp.

7. grenadier

Reputations:
    Undervolted my 7300u by -90mv. Lower temps and noticeable performance bump under load. The lower temps allow for a consistently higher multiplier below the 75C max.

8. grenadier

Reputations:
    Anyone know (or know how to find out) the full list of USB-PD inputs that the X1C5 will accept? For reference the 65W stock charger outputs at 20V 3.25A / 15V 3A / 9V 2A / 5V 2A.

What about 20V 3A (eg. macbook 61W) or 9V 1.67A (eg. samsung 15W)?

EDIT: X1C5 will accept 20V 3A USB-PD inputs for charging. Definitely won't accept 9V 1.67A or 5/6V 3A USB-PD inputs. Surprisingly it won't accept 9V 2A USB-PD inputs either even though the stock charger has this listed as a supplied voltage so you'd think it would be compatible.

TLDR: The Apple 61W USB-C charger charges the X1C5 at near full speed, but most wall wart style phone chargers and power banks won't be able to supply any charge at all. Numerous charging sources that other USB-C powered laptops will charge from do not work at all with the X1C5.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  9. colliderz

colliderz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone PLEASE help me with the dull brightness and yellow tint? I will commit suicide with this pain.

10. grenadier

Reputations:
    Try calibrating your own screen. Alternatively, Notebookcheck made their calibrated X1C5 profile available for download (as they do with calibration profiles for most notebooks they review). If you determine your screen is defective you need to either address it with Lenovo or, if you purchased from a reseller, get a replacement from them ASAP.