Thinkpad x1 carbon 5th (2017) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by hunterdt, Feb 17, 2017.

1. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you look at the HMM, the WiGig antenna is a separate module and is not the same as the existing WiFi antennas. I also want WiGig and the antenna module.

2. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What do you mean by HMM? So in other words, I won't be able to add Wi-Gig to my X1C after I purchase it?

3. DanielNTX

Reputations:
  4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd venture to say most people who buy the X1C don't know what Wi-Gig is. That's probably why you're not seeing it offered.

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    eli5 us what is a wi-gig :D

6. DanielNTX

Reputations:
    galaxyge and huntnyc like this.
  7. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks Daniel. From looking at the pictures, it might not be easily installed by a novice like me. Furthermore, will Lenovo even allow me to purchase the antenna separately? Again, I'm pretty disappointed that I won't be able to jump on to the Wi-Gig bandwagon.

8. Danilo

Danilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My X1 Carbon is finally here (took FedEx their sweet time due to supposedly their Paris hub being hacked or something, and then the incompetent customs officer took another 10 days): only powered it on so far to make sure it works and matches what I expected. Nice QHD screen (I so missed the matte panel), nice keyboard, but significantly larger than the XPS 13 which I need to get used to. It does feel significantly lighter than my good ole XPS 13 9343.

Also, RJ45 adapter did not arrive in the box: this was a US version, and it's annoying that you can't even order one online when ordering the laptop (which is why I was hoping ;)). I do have a USB ethernet adapter from my Dell, but it'd be nice to keep the USB port unused for rare cases where I want to use a cable connection with a laptop.

If I find the time, I'll probably take a photo of white background at max brightness on XPS 13 3200x1800, X1 Carbon and Dell UP2414Q screens to get an idea of how they compare, though matte surface will be much more usable outdoors.

DanielNTX likes this.
  9. alphachaser

alphachaser Newbie

Reputations:
    Anybody experiencing a big downgrade in battery performance after the most recent Windows 10 update (i think it's Creator's update)? My battery life is now around 5 hrs since that update, really terrible. Any tips on fixing this? Thanks

10. tinytop69

tinytop69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is pretty concerning. I'll have mine next week so I will try to update and test