Thinkpad x1 carbon 5th (2017) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by hunterdt, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Danilo

Danilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As for scaling, I run Ubuntu, but even on my XPS 13, I generally use 1.25 scaling on 3200x1800 13.3" screen for UI elements, and 1.38 scaling in my browser and wherever there's actual long text to be read. With 2560x1440 at 14", I'll probably just run it at 1x (I do wear glasses or contacts, but with them my vision is better than 20/20). I was now intrigued and checked if it would be possible to easily reuse Fujitsu U904 screen (a wonderful 14" Sharp IGZO panel available without a touch layer with 400 nits brightness), but it seems to use eDP connector with 50 pins as opposed to X1 Carbon using a 40 pin connector. Not that it'd be easy for me to try that since I've already sold U904 off.

Does anyone with a NFC-enabled "keyboard" (well, mostly touchpad) know the difference between part numbers 01AY022 and 01AY023: the first is listed as "CS16_2BCP,GLASS,BLACK,NFC,CHY", and the other as "CS16_2BCP,GLASS,BLACK,NFC,TRA"? Does this touchpad provide any special hardware for NFC, or is it just the cable that is different? They supposedly (page 58 of HMM) come with "NFC antenna kit", so there is a separate cable to connect to NFC card (though don't confuse it with a joint trackpad cable that goes to fingerprint reader and NFC card). Does anyone with a non-NFC keyboard have a photo of the trackpad cable and connections to compare? Basically, does everyone get the same trackpad cable from page 59?

Are they needed on top of NFC module (01AX745, "Lenovo Wireless, Nfc, Fxn, Npc300") to add NFC support? Anyone opened it up (bottom cover and battery need to go out, according to page 87 of HMM) and has a few better photos? Seems "NFC support bracket" mentioned in the HMM is included with this part.

I am guessing one of the trackpad parts and the NFC module part is what's needed to add NFC support to a non-NFC X1 Carbon (which makes it an $85 upgrade according to https://lenovo.encompass.com), but I wonder if someone knows more, including if there are cheaper options to get these replacement parts :)

2. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All I know is CHY is the Manufacturer Chicony.

3. Danilo

Danilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cheers Daniel, that's at least something (i.e. if it's just different manufacturers, no big deal).

4. grenadier

grenadier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are the 256 GB PCIe drives that ship with the X1C5 also Samsung made drives (PM961) or just the 512 / 1 TB drives?

All the reviews I've found confirm PM961, but are also all for units with 512 GB drives. If I might end up with a Toshiba or other slower drive I'll probably just go with the 128 GB option and upgrade later.

5. tinytop69

tinytop69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just pulled the trigger on an X1C5 and it feels great. I probably won't see it for another 3 weeks or so but I'm happy to be in the club. My first jump into the thinkpad line of laptops and I'm pretty excited to see what makes them so popular.

6. grenadier

grenadier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally jumped and bought the X1C5 here too. The price when this model was first released was hard to swallow, but with the 30% off / "THINKPADSALE" discount right now it's a steal.

For those who would benefit from (closer to) workstation class performance it might be worth waiting for the inevitable X1C5.5 / X1C6 update with intel's new 15W quad cores (i5-8250U)...

tinytop69 likes this.
  7. JJLight

JJLight Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, it has been a long wait, but the WQHD screen is finally available in the UK so I have placed my new order having returned my HD model in March due to the issues above. In the meantime, I've tried a 4k XPS 13, a HP Spectre X360 and an X1 Yoga Gen 2, but nothing has eclipsed my initial love for the X1 Carbon (apart from the incredible OLED screen on the X1 Yoga!). As a bonus I've now been able to order the IR webcam option that wasn't available back in March. My fingers are crossed that the new arrival will be worth the wait!

risen likes this.
  8. JawadTheLodger

JawadTheLodger Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it worth saving up for the X1 or just getting the T470/T470s?

9. risen

risen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It depends on your expectations. For me the X1 Carbon was really worth it. I am quite happy knowing I can't upgrade my RAM. I am not a big person, so portability was essential. The battery is amazing and lasts me 12-14 hours daily for tasks on excel, word and watching the occasional movie. I am always on the road, so I need something THIN as well as LIGHT that's not going to eat up space and weight for my limited cabin baggage allowance. And for all this, I get a 14 inch FHD screen. Never been happier. Even my X220 at 3.3 pounds didn't even come close as a travelling companion.

Here's why I preferred the X1 Carbon 5th Gen:
    Thickness:
    T470 - 0.8 inch
    T470s - 0.7 inch
    X1 Carbon - 0.65 inch

Weight
    T470 - 3.5 pounds with the smallet 3 cell battery
    T470s - 2.9 pounds
    X1 Carbon - 2.49 pounds

Yes, there is a world of difference between 2.49 pounds and 2.9 pounds. The former passes the one hand test for me, and as I travel alot it was important for me not to get bogged down toting my computer around. It's a business tool for me, and I don't want to notice it except when I need it to use it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    huntnyc likes this.
  10. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't understand why Lenovo is not releasing the X1C with Wi-Gig in North America. Is the Wi-Fi antenna the same for Wi-Gig? In the future, can I just install the Intel Wi-Gig card to get Wi-Gig? Or I need the Wi-Gig antennas as well?