Thinkpad x1 carbon 5th (2017) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by hunterdt, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Danilo

Danilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As for scaling, I run Ubuntu, but even on my XPS 13, I generally use 1.25 scaling on 3200x1800 13.3" screen for UI elements, and 1.38 scaling in my browser and wherever there's actual long text to be read. With 2560x1440 at 14", I'll probably just run it at 1x (I do wear glasses or contacts, but with them my vision is better than 20/20). I was now intrigued and checked if it would be possible to easily reuse Fujitsu U904 screen (a wonderful 14" Sharp IGZO panel available without a touch layer with 400 nits brightness), but it seems to use eDP connector with 50 pins as opposed to X1 Carbon using a 40 pin connector. Not that it'd be easy for me to try that since I've already sold U904 off.

Does anyone with a NFC-enabled "keyboard" (well, mostly touchpad) know the difference between part numbers 01AY022 and 01AY023: the first is listed as "CS16_2BCP,GLASS,BLACK,NFC,CHY", and the other as "CS16_2BCP,GLASS,BLACK,NFC,TRA"? Does this touchpad provide any special hardware for NFC, or is it just the cable that is different? They supposedly (page 58 of HMM) come with "NFC antenna kit", so there is a separate cable to connect to NFC card (though don't confuse it with a joint trackpad cable that goes to fingerprint reader and NFC card). Does anyone with a non-NFC keyboard have a photo of the trackpad cable and connections to compare? Basically, does everyone get the same trackpad cable from page 59?

Are they needed on top of NFC module (01AX745, "Lenovo Wireless, Nfc, Fxn, Npc300") to add NFC support? Anyone opened it up (bottom cover and battery need to go out, according to page 87 of HMM) and has a few better photos? Seems "NFC support bracket" mentioned in the HMM is included with this part.

I am guessing one of the trackpad parts and the NFC module part is what's needed to add NFC support to a non-NFC X1 Carbon (which makes it an $85 upgrade according to https://lenovo.encompass.com), but I wonder if someone knows more, including if there are cheaper options to get these replacement parts :)

2. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All I know is CHY is the Manufacturer Chicony.

3. Danilo

Danilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cheers Daniel, that's at least something (i.e. if it's just different manufacturers, no big deal).