Thinkpad x1 carbon 5th (2017) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by hunterdt, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Danilo

Danilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I always wondered why would anyone care about backlight in a keyboard? I want a good keyboard so I wouldn't need to look at it while I type. Just like I wondered why would anyone want a great screen on a laptop and for it to be a touchscreen (what use is a great screen if it's going to be smudgy all over).

But then, as I switched between different keyboards and laptops, I struggled to remember where my vol-up/vol-down keys were on my XPS13 and I switched the backlight on ;-) I *still* haven't found a use for a touchscreen on a laptop, though.

I've put in an CTO order for an X1 Carbon with WQHD screen: hopefully screen is not worse than the one on the previous generation, since I can't wait any longer to see how it reviews ;-) Lenovo Serbia has stopped responding to my enquiries so I ordered from USA (which means no NFC keyboard or IR webcam, but I am guessing I'll survive) and it will only ship on July 17th, so hopefully I have it here by the end of the month.

2. adamj023

adamj023 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also looking at the X1 Carbon with WQHD. I want to buy one locally and I haven't seen the top seller models available yet with such in the store

Only Lenovo Thinkpad vender locally I know of is BH Photo Video as every other distribution channel seems to be online or through a Lenovo partner where they don't keep inventory and charge inflated prices.

Will wait to see if any psref changes occur and new models come out in July or August or even September but I really want to buy one soon as I can't wait forever.

3. heisenberg420

heisenberg420 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    unfortunately not in the US

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

4. Danilo

Danilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ethernet dongle is not included in US orders? That would be very annoying, since there wasn't an option to add it as an accessory either (I've chosen a USB-C to DP adapter, but ethernet dongle was nowhere to be found, and noticed that on Lenovo UK site you have to choose it explicitely, but it adds nothing to the price there).

5. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But as far as ultrathin notebook keyboards are concerned, the current backlit Thinkpad keyboards are nice.

risen likes this.
  6. wannabelean

wannabelean Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What's everyone display scaling set at?

7. risen

risen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Really? That sucks.

8. risen

Reputations:
    Hi Danilo, I hope the US policy has changed in the meantime (I ordered from the UK and it was not a problem) and you are well surprised with the ethernet dongle when your computer finally arrives. Let us know how it goes.

9. risen

Reputations:
    I have set my scaling at 125 on the FHD screen of the X1C5 (as an upgrade from my previous HD screen). I find this comfortable for leisurely reading. However, I believe if I was using it solely for excel spreadsheets I would have preferred to scale at 115 but you need to concentrate a bit harder on the screen (I just manually zoom out when I'm working on excel and leave the rest of the system at 125). I scoured the forums prior to this and the answers seem to range between 100 and 115.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  10. DanH

DanH Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi I have received my X1C (i7, 16GB, 512GB) this week, love it so far I had used a T420s and a T450s at my previous employer.

It does run a little hot, this is now solved by undervolting 55/55/30 core/cache/gpu. In normal use word processing, browsing etc it runs in the 38-45 Celsius range.

I did notice when undervolting that the CPU wasn't idling that well. Has anyone else's WMI Provider Host process sitting at between 1-2% CPU?

huntnyc likes this.