ThinkPad X1 Carbon (3rd Gen.) Broadwell

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdoviack

bdoviack Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The new interface is brand new to ThinkPads. Don't think anyone has taken it apart and truly seen how open the compatibility is. Even if it is open, there still may be some minor firmware incompatibilities as was the case with the T440s. Why take a chance? The time you spend troubleshooting and reinstalling could be worth more than $200.

Here is what happened when T440s tried to go with aftermarket Samsung SSD's

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T5...is-killing-Samsung-840-pro-SSD-s/td-p/1366903

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. j3ff

j3ff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ^I cannot justify a 200 dollar upgrade that is a straight up rip off.

Also, how about a 256 or 128 pci express option,.

I'd love to buy the smallest sata option - then get a pciexpress drive of my own and swap it in.

For those who get the touch screen, please let us know if it has that awful film on it. I'd be tempted to buy one and try it out if not for the restocking fee.

3. bdoviack

bdoviack Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree that the latest Lenovo laptops have ripoff prices for components. What's worse is that in six months, you'll see "end of summer" sales where the laptops are going for half of what they are now. Guess that's the price you pay for having the latest, "state of the art" laptop.

$200 is a lot of money but after buying ThinkPads for the past 15+ years, I realize that's the price you pay for peace of mind and convenience. I used to also search for online coupons, negotiate with the sales agents, wait for sales, etc. At the end of the day I realized that I spent so many man hours trying to save a hundred or two hundred bucks, that I could have better applied my energy elsewhere.

Here is the example I mentioned earlier where some users tried to save a few bucks with going with an aftermarket Samsung SSD on their T440s. See if you want to possibly go through the same process:

T440s is killing Samsung 840 pro SSD's - Lenovo Community

4. j3ff

j3ff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes, I get it. I just spent 40 minutes trying to get an agent to give me no restocking fee.

I just think that it's a little crazy that I spend 1549 on a middle of the road x1 and they are going to charge me 240 dollars to return it, especially after the 2nd generation nonsense.

I'm typing this on a 2nd gen that my work bought 30 or so of. Every user hates the keyboard, the touchpad and the adaptive Function keys. After the fiasco of the 2nd gen, they shouldn't be so bold as to charge a restocking fee.

This 3rd gen that I will ultimately buy will be my personal laptop, work doesn't even want to go lenovo again after the 2nd gen BS. I tried to explain that to them but they couldn't offer me either a 240 off coupon or a no restocking fee. Oh well, their loss. I will suffer on with the free 2nd gen from work!

BinkNR likes this.
  5. BinkNR

BinkNR Knock off all that evil

Reputations:
    Jeffnt326 likes this.
  6. j3ff

j3ff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well... I just ordered the better i5, 8gb ram, higher res NON touch (can't stand the stupid film they put on the screen) cheapest hard drive, deal. I hope to enjoy the super high res IPS screen and replace the sata drive with a pciE drive of my own.. we'll see how it goes!

7. red grenadine

red grenadine Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    FYI - Shipped out today - 7 days / 5 biz days after ordering

8. tes5884

tes5884 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    lucky !!

I'm still waiting for mine to get past the "Released to Manufacturing" stage...

9. GiantCow

GiantCow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thinking of upgrading from a T430s. Never had a laptop with a super high res before... It seems like most people getting 2560x1440 are scaling it down to 1080p? If so what's the point of getting the higher resolution screen in the first place? Does it look better than a native 1080p resolution?

10. heavenly_wild

heavenly_wild Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good question. I would like to know if 1080p looks good on the high resolution screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.