thinkpad with 2 harddrive bays.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by aintz, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aintz

aintz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    its for a friend who'll use it to program and saids money isnt an issue (he wanted a thinkpad), the gpu is kinda wasted but owell.

2. Nippero

Nippero Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    make sure hes fine with a gigantic laptop though.

3. thinkpad knows best

thinkpad knows best Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well given he/she is a programmer, i suggest you go for a WUXGA screen for the most screen real estate.

4. aintz

aintz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ya hes fine with huge laptop, it will be used only at home and at work. so mobility isnt an issue. thanks for all the help :)

5. useroflaptops

useroflaptops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thats backward thinking. There are many non-expresscard I/Os coming in the future (USB 3.0, light peak, etc) that has high data transfer rates and low latency.

One of the only merits of the original expresscard idea is that third party devices can fit inside the laptop without affecting the laptop form factor, and that it has one of the higher data transfer rates at the time (which will no longer be true with upcoming I/O standards). However, expresscard is a standard very little manufacturers have adopted. USB is the standard most manufacturers across all classes of electronics adopt. Hence, expresscard is useless and USB useful.

The fact you use expresscard today, is because certain niche manufacturers (to perform tasks like external video dock or eSATA etc) adopted to use the expresscard standard. In the future, it does not preclude the ability to perform those same functions to be achieved (such as external video card etc) but using other non-expresscard standard for I/O data transfer. Future-proofing is also not a valid reason to make the majority of users who don't use expresscards in their laptop lifetime, suffer by carrying an empty useless space the entire time. Not to mention, you can easily future proof laptops by using external docking solutions of whatever you need to use, in the future for things not available at the time of purchase of said laptop.

I have seen numerous online polls indicating that the majority of laptop users don't ever use their expresscard slots. That is certainly reflective of the level it has been adopted by third party electronics manufacturers. In fact, apple and even lenovo (+many manufactuers) are starting to move away from expresscard and PCMCIA (apple doesnt include expresscard slots anymore and thinkpad T series have moved away to the expresscard 34 from previously having 2 major slots for PCMCIA/expresscard/PCcard slots).

There will come a time when optical disks like CD, DVD, blueray will be redundant also. It may be useful to support the adoption of new and better concepts than get stuck with redundant ideas IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.