1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Thinkpad T510 vs. W510

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Nrbelex, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has there been much speculation over the specs of the upcoming W510 and T510? I'm looking for a 15" workstation to do Photoshop work with in the next few months. Discreet graphics and a quality screen are going to be very important. The current T500 and W500 are pretty close to what I'm looking for, but with January around the corner, I able to wait if the refreshes are going to be significantly better...

Advantages of the W line or T line over the other?
    What's going to be new/upgraded?
    Thoughts on when these models are gonna be released?

Thanks,
    Brett

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    One generation to the next are usually not significant. I'd say if you can find a good deal on one new, buy. The GPU and the WUXGA screen are the main benefits of the W series. The WSXGA+ if you get the LG is above average I would say, but the trend in all laptop sales is price is the preponderant factor for most people. They don't care about screen quality enough to pay for it. There are some who care about screen quality, but we're in the minority.

3. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The T usually has consumer GPU, while W has workstation GPU. It will be updated in Q1 2010 according to the Lenovo roadmap. Does Photoshop even require a workstion card? Same as all other notebooks in Q1 2010, notebooks will have the new dual core i5/i7s and an updated GPU (most likely HD 4650/workstation variant for the T/W510 series)

4. Follin

Follin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is W510 even gonna happen? I didnt see it on the roadmaps

5. MikesDell

MikesDell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If anyone notices the X302 isn't on the road-map either. From what I'm told, they will be updated later along in 2010 (Feb, or March probably).

6. skagen

skagen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On this specific go-round there is a good chance of seeing a different screen size and screen quality from Lenovo, so I would't be so quick to dismiss the generation change.

I myself am holding out until january. The current generation has screens bad enough that there is nothing to lose by waiting. Worst come to worst if the screens arent better on 510 series, then I can pick up a 500 for dirt cheap in the outlet at that point anyway. Just no downside to waiting.

7. cassiohui

cassiohui Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i'm guessing all the next gen thinkpads would have 16:9 after watching engadget's video on a presentation by someone (sorry, don't remember what, but he's in charge of designing thinkpads) from lenovo japan. they probably would get core i5/i7 as well.

both these (if true) are most definitely significant.

8. ZaZ

Reputations:
    I wouldn't think from a performance perspective the i7s will be markedly better than what's available right now.

If they do indeed go 16:9, that would be a pretty significant because it means no more WSXGA+. You're left with WXGA++(1600x900), another decrease in vertical resolution, or WUXGA(1920x1080), which has a pixels per inch over 140. That's higher than my 15" UXGA, which means text will be small and harder to read. I'd like to think they're going to offer something better, but if history is a guide, I think it's unlikely. I'd say if you want a WSXGA+ screen now's the time to buy with all the coupons. Pray for the LG.

9. antskip

antskip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    15.4" WUXGA (1920X1200) is 147 PPI. 15.4" 1920x1080 is 143 PPI.

Size of text is defined by software and its settings in relation to hardware. Properly setup software-wise, so the fonts are the size wished for, the higher the PPI the easier on the eyes, not harder. Myths based on a lack of understanding of how PC's operate do not become true by repetition/rumour. The new resolution will not be quite as easy on the eyes as 15.4" WUXGA, but better than 15" UXGA; in each case, as always, dependent on software settings.

If you are at present reading text comfortably on a 15" UXGA (133 PPP - the same as 17" WUXGA), and you know how to set the software, then you will be quite happy with 15.4" 1920x1080. If 15" UXGA is at present hard on the eyes (i.e poor software settings), then any increase of PPI will also be unpleasant.

10. ZaZ

Reputations:
    It's been my experience that most people stick with the default, which means a PPI of 143 or 147 will make for very small text.

11. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not specifically workstation over consumer, but definitely something moderately powerful. And since I'm looking for something very well built, reliable and proven, a workstation seems to be the best choice. I definitely don't need the bells and whistles plus bloatware/bloatfeatures of most consumer laptops...

Brett

12. chupacabras

chupacabras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The T500 and W500 share almost exactly the same chassis and hardware other than the graphics adapter. The T certainly any more consumer than the W.

With regard to text size, it you can easily change the default size, but I find even when you do, many applications haven't been designed to accommodate the larger size which causes many annoying alignment issues.

13. antskip

antskip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed. The default of course is not setup for HD screens, and is quite inappropriate. I think Lenovo and others who provide HD screens should send them out with better settings to at least give the average user a chance. Sending them out with tiny fonts etc is self-defeating - very poor PR for Lenovo. It wouldn't be that hard to image a properly setup HD-system - though, given primitive stage of HD-friendly OS and program development, there is still much to do by the end user, depending on which programs are subsequently installed and used...

Re above post - quite correct too! - some programs just will never look good in HD, whatever the font size - one just has to or try to avoid them....I am lucky i don't use any of them!

14. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You probably meant to have an "isn't" in between "certainly any". I know the W isn't any more workstation-y than the T, which is why I've narrowed it down to the T line, the W line and the Dell M4400. :)

Brett

15. cassiohui

Reputations:
    a 15-ish inch 16:9 would actually be 15.6", not 15.4"

16. ernstloeffel

ernstloeffel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i recently moved from 1900x1200 to 1600x1200 with a t42p i got off ebay. this is so far the best resolution for me, since i like to have vertical space for programming and the ppi causes less eye strain for me.

17. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    I would totally wait. my biggest complaint about my T500 is the screen - it's terrible. backlight bleed or blacks are all really bad...

18. ooxxoo

ooxxoo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Photoshop isn't even GPU driven. It doesn't matter.

19. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Not sure what screen you have, but my T500's WSXGA+ LG panel has no backlight bleed that I can notice even on my black screensaver, and the blacks seem to be very nice.

The main advantages of the M4400 over the T500, in my opinion, are the stronger graphics options and better screen options. For your purposes, I would think the first point is rather moot, since Photoshop does not even need a discrete graphics card - so the M4400's graphics card would just lower battery life. The M4400 does have some very nice screen options, though, that make it quite attractive. That said, it is more expensive than the T500 as well.

20. cassiohui

Reputations:
    well obviously you're not using cs4.

it's not gpu driven, but it IS gpu accelerated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.