Thinkpad T480s Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by JimF, Apr 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Yeah. Small reported differences in KB (afaik, and I may be pulling this out of somewhere smelly, I remember the T480s KB having less KB travel than the X1C6), TB x2/x4 (though really a very minor difference), only 10W version of MX150, and the lack of a decent array of panel options.

I think most don't care about the GPU and TB x2/x4 (or that the T480s only has 1 TB3 port alongside a regular USB-C, whereas the X1C6 runs two TB3 ports). The reported KB differences and lack of decent LCD panels (outside of the WQHD display, but that requires removing the ThinkShutter, an unique feature) probably shoves people into the similarly priced X1C6. The X1C6 has the same battery capacity, slightly smaller footprint (genuinely in a pre-XPS13, 13" size class), and again, a decent FHD matte panel option.

The T480s does gain a fullsize SD card reader (vs microSD) and ethernet jack. To me, it wasn't close, but I feel I would be just as happy with the T480s. The MX150 was the key factor for me, but it's also an old GPU nowadays. I wanted something either significantly smaller than my old Dell, or something a fair bit faster (my E5450 had a GT840m).

I ultimately chose significantly smaller. The T480 (non-s) wasn't even considered, since Lenovo couldn't even implement a proper battery configuration, something my old Vaio SA had gotten right back in 2011 (48Whr internal + external slice battery. Slice is always drained first, to 20%, before the internal is touched).

But don't let the forums fool you. I'd bet the T480 is far more common in reality against the T480s and X1C6 combined. Just like the Inspiron 15 probably outnumbers the XPS15 by a long shot. However, X1C6 owners are just a bit more vocal (and Lenovo seems to respond more favorably to X1C6 complaints - even the similar X1Y3 is sometimes ignored).

grenadier and huntnyc like this.
  2. grenadier

grenadier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I considered the X1C6 but the (reported) build quality issues really turned me off (if I wanted to play the QC lottery I'd just get an XPS 13). The dimm slot / 24GB option, better performance / throttling / temps and discreet mx150 also all seemed like significant upgrades.

huntnyc likes this.
  3. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After checking the latest reviews of X1C6 and T480s, I'm so glad I got a E485 instead. Even with my expensive and unnecessary aftermarket upgrades (HyperX 32GB RAM + Force MP510 480GB NVMe + older 2.5" Crucial MX200), I still ended up below 1k$ while having similar CPU power and much stronger graphics (Vega 10). Build quality is just as good. The only real bummer is the BIOS restriction limiting the CPU/GPU package at 11W. As a result the machine is running ice cold while still outperforming Intel counterparts in some CPU benches and more than doubling in all iGP tests. If only I find a way to unlock the BIOS, this thing would blow MX150 out of the water while not suffering from any thermal throttling. It will also scale with RAM speed, so my 3200Mhz sticks would further boost the beast (currently gimped at 2400Mhz CL15, thank you Lenovo).

huntnyc likes this.
  4. grenadier

Reputations:
    What's the best CPU for the t480s?

I've got the 8350u (40/44W TDP limit) and it suffers significant thermal throttling even when undervolted -100mv. Is the 8250/8350/8550/8650 more likely to be better binned / better able to maintain clockspeed at lower TDP / throttle-safe temps?

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    repaste the machine

6. grenadier

Reputations:
    I've already got my Kryonaut on the way :cool:

7. grenadier

Reputations:
    Repasted my t480s with kryonaut. Temps, thermal throttling and cinebench loops are all definitely improved.

Graphics drivers are an outdated nightmare though. Newest Lenovo approved drivers for t480s at the moment are super glitchy Intel 24.20.100.6223 from 17 Aug 2018. Older drivers are worse.

Is Lenovo driver support for their non X1 models always this bad?

8. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    There was a newer driver release, but it seemed Lenovo pulled them (at least for the X1C6, now we are back to 6223 as well).

9. cierzo

cierzo Newbie

Reputations:
    Today Lenovo Vantage has updated graphics driver to 25.20.100.6472

I have a i7-8550u cpu FYI

10. grenadier

Reputations:
    (1) Did you install the graphics driver update?
    (2) Were you able to successfully install and open the Intel Graphics Control Panel?
    (3) Does the new control panel version still have the option to disable PSR (panel self refresh)?

My understanding is that the Intel Graphics Control Panel is no longer bundled with Intel graphics driver releases anymore. This means that you can't adjust critical options (like disabling PSR) without installing the control panel separately from the Microsoft Store or via Windows Update... except the app has been broken since it was added to the Microsoft Store (currently ~80% negative reviews for this reason.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-graphics-control-panel/9ndlclmmtmrc