ThinkPad T440s - Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryp

kryp Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your detailed review. Very helpful for me. Most "professional laptop review websites" don't have this ability to judge a laptop from many aspects. They just copy numbers from specs!

2. channel169

channel169 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks ibmthink for your review.

Are you able to open the lid of the T440s with only one hand ?
    In the Techradar review, they said that they couldn't open the lid without holding onto the lower portion.

Can you also take a picture that show clearly the keyboard backlight ?

3. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Probably the most anticipated question, what kind of battery life are you getting?

4. xd19

xd19 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does Windows see this cache SSD as a normal drive (or can this be set up in BIOS)?

5. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    I haven´t got the oportunity until now to test the batteryperformance while surfing/office. It will maybe take until the weekend.

Others in the german ThinkPad-Forum reported 5-6 hrs while doing basic tasks, but:
    - The current T440s models in Germany are all without preload, the preload performs better when it comes to battery life
    - The Windows installations are still fresh

I thin 5 -7 hrs should be possile while surfing the web, the 6-cell battery should double the battery life.

Besides, the 3-cell battery is really small and light. It weights nearly nothing, so it would be easy to take one additional 3-cell with you.

6. vinuneuro

Reputations:
    Please also note the screen brightness when checking battery. That seems to influence it more than anything else. 5-6hrs on a fresh installation is encouraging, the Lenovo pre-loads are usually quite a bit more efficient.

I also like the idea of having a second 3-cell, but it's expensive. Extra $120 for a new battery vs. $20-40 to upgrade to 6-cell in CTO customization.

7. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the review. How is the performance? Can you have a lot of programs in the background, have many tabs open and still have room for more tasks?

8. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    I´m now using the T440s while surfing. 86 % are left (after an hour of surfing now; 72 % Akku 2, 99 % Akku 1). Windows says "5 hrs" and some minutes (brightness is on the 4th stage).

Thats no problem with the T440s.

9. ibmquality

ibmquality Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is that the case? If you have use Barnes and Noble and by the battery as an independent accessory it is actually cheaper. On Barnes & Noble and most discounts they don't take if off accessories at time of purchase (battery, ram, ssd prices are all same upgrade price. HOwever, for battery it up to 20% less.

For instance the T430s 3 cell does indeed cost $120 when purchasing with the laptop with B&n discount or not.. But when you use B& Nobles under accessories the 3 cell costs $101.99.

Also, a 3 cell comes standard with the T440s. If you were to order the 6 cell, wouldn't they ship the 6 cell INSTEAD of the standard 3 cell?. Or would it be standard 3 cell + 6 cell extended + internal 3 cell.
    Either way from a cost perspective it is cheaper to buy the 6 cell or even the other 3 cell as a separate accessory. That is what I plan on doing.

10. vinuneuro

Reputations:
    Compare a notebook that has upgradable battery like T430 or X230. 6-cell is $140 in Barnes and Noble, $100 from somewhere cheaper. Upgrading to 9-cell is $50 for T430, $30 for X230.

I don't like how big the T440s 6-cell is but cheapest I've found for the 3-cell is $117. Don't think I can justify the extra expense over upgrading during the the customization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.