ThinkPad T440s - Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    The T440s unit I tested had very tinny and unnatural audio and the soundcard was horrid as well. However they should still be far superior to the M1330, which is even worse than the T440s.

2. 4minuteslate

4minuteslate Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To me the sound quality is great, much better than many laptops around. Dolby tool also greatly improves it. I believe it's decent, after all it's a laptop (can't expect a miracle).

3. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    The T440s speakers are great, much better than any ThinkPad I had before - without Dolby of course, which makes them sound very unnatural. The sound-card is also ok, nothing special, but not very bad either.

4. snoozeallday

snoozeallday Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got my t440s. I really hate how you have to open this thing. Felt awful prying it apart (as careful as I was) because its so new. I installed a new SSD and an extra 8GB of ram. Installed 8.1 pro, downloaded all the drivers etc. Used it all night long and before bed I plugged it into the adapter to let it charge fully. Today when I woke up, it wont boot.

I've tried resetting it w/ the paperclip, holding the power button, etc. Guess i'll get on the horn w/ lenovo but I feel like i'll probably return it.

5. rmd800

rmd800 Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it possible to disable the trackpad, except for the button areas, make them large, and set it to tap?

I'm coming from the old button trackpoint/trackpad system. I like to rest my right thumb on the left click button. Is it possible to do this, and use the tap as a click, or do you always have to have your thumb off the trackpad virtual buttons until you tap?

Debating between a t430s and a t440s. As someone who relies on the trackpoint I'm leary of going to the virtual buttons until absolutely necessary.

6. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, yes, no.

You can´t use tap-to-click in combination with the TrackPoint. You can rest your thumb on the TrackPad as with the dedicated buttons, but you will have to do a physical click to click.

7. rmd800

rmd800 Newbie

Reputations:

Thank you for answering my question. I just went to try a few thinkpads...t440s, x1 carbon, etc. I was not aware the whole touch pad basically moves when you click the top left/right regions. Not sure how I feel about it. In general, it was easy to use but there was definitely some noise associated. Felt cumbersome. In addition, the 1600x900 screen on the t440s (IPS) had a screen door effect. The real screen to get is the high res x1 carbon. Very impressive.

Right now, might look for a gently used T430s and hope Lenovo makes a revision to the touchpad buttons in the next iteration of T series.

8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    The 1600x900 display on the T440s is not an IPS display. There is a known screen-door effect, as was the case on the previous-generation T430 and T430s panels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.