ThinkPad T440s - Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibmquality

ibmquality Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice and thorough review. I really like the pictures. I like the size and it seem like the color is a little darker than the T431s which should be nice. Another international forum reviews said the lid feels better to the touch than the T431s too that would be nice. Looking forward to being able to order mine.

2. andrick

andrick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi ibmthink,

I'm really looking forward for the battery life test :eek:, hope can see it soon.

Nice review btw, you got same style like notebookcheck :)

3. Macpod

Macpod Connoisseur

Reputations:

Haha. Yeh, maybe he is german as well. Love the style. Much better than most american/UK website. Most reviewers these days dont know anything or care much about notebooks anymore. So we get reviews that concentrate on arbitrary stuff like 'Oh this is a vibrant display' and pointless temperature readings like the keyboard. In this day and age i doubt there is much variation on the temperature of the keyboard. Notebook check and out friend here seems to know what notebook users really care about.

Please do a similar review on the 440P/W540 if you ever get your hands on one.

4. andrick

andrick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agree, not many reviewers talk about the display quite detailed like in notebookcheck. Also love their battery runtime test which cover some scenarios.

5. jitref

jitref Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey ibmthink, thanks for the great review! Cleared up a lot of things I wondered about. Congratulations on your new device.

A couple things I am wondering:
    1. What is the boot time? Wake from sleep time?
    2. Does the 24gb cache adequately replace an all flash system? If not, how tolerable is it compared to all flash devices?

Thanks in advance if you get a chance to look these questions over!

6. nicolaim

nicolaim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Many thanks for your review ibmthink.

Please let us know if the ghosting happens again. It's worrisome...

One question: can you try the speakers with the laptop on your lap instead of on a desk?

7. swarm

swarm Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I understand that this is a problem only for some users, but people around me had similar experience. I used three ThinkPads with new buttonless trackpoint for two or three months and this is something I didn't get used to.

On my good old T400 I need only small move of thumb to choose the button: (left, right)

IMG_3540.JPG IMG_3541.JPG

On new ThinkPads (this is S440, but T440s is the same) moving with thumb is not enough (middle picture - this is recognized as a middle button). So I need to move whole wrist... (right picture):

IMG_3536.JPG IMG_3537.JPG IMG_3538.JPG

I like many aspect of new ThinkPads (new design, better screens,...), but this change is annonying... as well as absence of numeric overlay which is very useful for me (when need to insert long numbers with one hand).

8. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    I have taken some similar pictures:
    WP_20130924 2.jpg WP_20130924 3.jpg WP_20130924 4.jpg WP_20130924 5.jpg

With right hand - no wrist moving needed, all clicks are registered correctly.

Or with right hand:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also no misfunction, not wrist moving.

With left hand (middle finger):
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also possible, also no misfunctions and no wrist moving needed.

About the sound of the new TrackPad, yes, it is a bit louder, But on the top edge where you click the integrated TrackPoint buttons, it is a bit more quiet than fir example in the middle.

9. Tr0x

Tr0x Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you tested the NFC function at all yet? I've only seen it mentioned that the T440s has NFC...but not what it does exactly.

It would be great if it would allow for syncing with phones that have NFC, though I imagine it requires unique drivers.

10. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    My T440s doesn´t have NFC, so I can help you with that point. sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.