Thinkpad T420s Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by John Ratsey, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Mine's an LG panel and the problem is gradually getting worse. I've endeavoured to take a photo of the current situation.

The blobs are approximately 20% in from each side and almost in line with the rubber pads at the top of the screen. There is a noticeable line of smaller blobs running up the screen from the biggest blob in middle right and a similar pattern is emerging on the left side.

I haven't tried dismantling the screen but I would not be surprised if there are some strengthening ribs in the display back which are putting pressure on the back of the LCD panel. ie it is Lenovo's roll-cage that is causing the problem, not the users. Are other people with the white blob problem getting the blobs in the same place?

I haven't yet tried arguing with Lenovo support but I will be wanting to get this problem fixed at some stage.

John

2. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My laptop is at Lenovo's support center, hence I can't check the spots' exact positions. From what I remember, I have a white spot located very close to your left one, albeit slightly lower, and a smaller one on the center/right side of the panel, which I think is slightly more centered than your big blob.

These spots are in fact annoying, hence I complained when they told me that they won't change the display under warranty, especially since many users already had it changed. I'll let you know how my complaint ends.

3. cn_habs

cn_habs Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi John,

I am having the same issue as well towards the left center of the LCD. My T420s is barely 6 months old.

I was actually thinking of filing a complaint myself to bring up the seriousness of this issue lately. How should we proceed?

Jason

Attached Files:

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Let's first find more people with the problem and see if there is a consistent pattern to build up evidence that the problem is the machine, not the users.

John

5. syhead2

syhead2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm sorry to hear that some of you guys are having the same problem I had with my screen. I hope you can get a solution soon!

If any of you have a laptop that is out of warranty and don't get this resolved by Lenovo, be aware that you can fix it yourself quite easily. Screens for this laptop can be bought for ~$70 and replacing it takes less than 10 minutes. It's quite easy actually.

6. deepak sethi

deepak sethi Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought a new T 420s recently & Loved It but the HD crashed within a month and i returned it, But I would love to buy the T 430 s ..i am sure it will have several improvements over 420s But I cannot wait too long ( need to buy by July 1 ) Could Any body please indicate any rumored intro date for 430s ??
    you can send me a private email on dicksethi at yahoo dot com....thanks !

7. strifej

strifej Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it just me or is the search broken? Tried to search for temp, temperature, temperatures and always get no results?

I noticed my T420s temps have been a lot higher than normal lately. I didn't run temp monitor regularly before when I felt it was "normal". But on my lap now, it can get blisteringly hot.

I ran real temp for 30 min and the lowest temp I get is 62 and highest 95.

I'm indoors with air con (in Asia), where the ambient temp is between 21-23.

I remember before if I didn't use the laptop, temps would go to about high 40's, low-mid 50's.

I installed tpfancontrol after I noticed the heat problems and even at 7, the temps don't go much below mid 60s.

Should I bring it in to have them redo the thermal paste/reseat the fan?

8. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Regarding white spots, this is the response I had from Lenovo, after complaining that the panel should be replaced under warranty.

"First of all let me apologize on behalf of Lenovo for the problems your have had with your computer. Although, after reviewing your case and verifying the engineers report I must inform you that the issue with your LCD (monitor) has been taken as customer induced damaged.

I kindly as you to accept the quotation from the repair center.

Thank you for understanding"

I replied, irritated, saying that seeing that the problem is widespread and that some users had their display changed, their decision seems heavily unfair and I'd like to escalate the ticket further.

I'll keep you posted

9. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Alexcriss, have you posted your problem at the Lenovo forums to get a second opinion on this? If it's a widespread problem but it seems Lenovo singled you out for some reason then I would see what the people at the Lenovo forums would say.

I had the similar kind of response from IBM (who deals with Lenovo repairs in UK) when my hinges went loose after 5 months and wanted to charge me for it despite having a 3 year warranty. It felt a bit unjust where people in the US/AU can get their hinges repaired on a similar problem but not here in the EMEA region. The people over at the Lenovo forums are helpful and managed to convinced IBM UK to repair it as a manufacturer defect in the end so I would try it if you haven't done so.

10. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nice idea, I'll try as soon as I can. Thanks a lot for the suggestion :)

EDIT: reported here:
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T420s-white-spots-on-display/td-p/730935

Add your story if you have spots and you feel like helping getting my panel (and possibly yours in the future) replaced ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.