Thinkpad T420s Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by John Ratsey, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wditters

wditters Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got the original Lenovo SATA tray which works fine on SATA1 and SATA3. SATA2 is mysteriously missing in action, but my at least my SATA3 SSDs work blindingly fast in the Ultrabay.... :)

2. rotavonni

rotavonni Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a T410s and want to upgrade. Is there a new version of the T420s expected in 2012? Anyone know of what will be new?

The X1 looks interested except I really like the larger keyboard and 14" screen of the T420s.

Thanks

Peter

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Last time I looked in the thread about the new models the speculation was that the T420s would not be updated because of overlap with ultrabooks. Personally I'm keeping my eye on the 15" Samsung Series 9.

John

4. wditters

Reputations:
    Don't worry 51nb just don't have all the facts :) There wil be a T430s, T430u and X1. I also know when and what they will look like but cannot disclose yet.

5. Kish21

Kish21 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really hope that there will be a T430s. T430u doesn't really appeal to me with that Edge-like feeling and/or crappier display/res.

6. wditters

Reputations:
    The T420u will be nothing like an Edge. It will be true to form a genuine T-series, just aimed at another group of users than regular W, T or X-series. It's an Ultrabook, so it will have Ultrabook size and specs, but in a nice Thinkpad T-series kind of package. Just have a look at the CES videos that have been circulating already. I see nothing that even remotely looks like an Edge series there ....

7. Sean518848

Sean518848 Newbie

Reputations:
    As a previous X301 owner I seriously warn you to stay away from T420s because I hesitate a long time between X220 and T420s and ended up making the wrong choice.
    The screen on T420s is worse than X301. Color is the same but it is darker, significantly darker.
    And as a X301 owner you must be annoyed by its battery life and on T420s I see no improvement.
    And the weight, it is noticeably heavier.
    So go for X220 with a IPS, that will solve all your problem, lovely screen, lone battery life, maybe still a bit heavier but overall it is much better than T420s.

8. wditters

Reputations:
    With the exception of the fact that if screen real estate is your driver, then the T420s remains the machine of choice. Having had the luxury of owning both, I actually found myself reaching for my T420s a lot more often simply because of the 1600x900 resolution. For my purposes, 14" beats 12.5" in that respect. The 6+3 cell combination together with an Ultraslim Combo adapter for me really is a perfect fit.

Personally, I'd create a list with requirements, divided into showstoppers and nice-to-haves. Set your priorities and let that guide you to a motivated choice.

9. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What was the reason you decided to switch from the X301?

10. arc888

arc888 Newbie

Reputations:
    As a X301 owner, I disagree about the display comparison. I've got a T420s with the LG screen and, after some tweaking, it is very much superior to the X301 display which, apart from the resolution, is one of the worst I've used (mine has very poor contrast).

The battery life on the T420s is better, no doubt due to the better power management of the i5 CPU. I agree that the T420s is noticeably heavier than the X301, even after replacing the DVD drive with the travel bezel.

The X301 CPU is pretty slow these days, it gets hot pretty quick and the fan is noisy but the X301 does have better sound than the T420s and it feels a lot more solid.

I had the same decision to make (X220 or T420s) and in the end I thought the 1600x900 resolution would be more useful to me. I've since determined that I much prefer working with an external monitor so the lighter X220 probably would have been a better choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.