Thinkpad T420s Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by John Ratsey, Apr 30, 2011.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What make is your panel? HWiNFO32 will give you the monitor code. Mine is LP140WD2-TLB1 (which means LG-Philips) and the contrast is good. I also have the Intel graphics.

You can try to improve your display quality using Windows' 7 calibrate tool.

John

2. de_user

de_user Newbie

Reputations:
    battery 42 is supported yes. my fault sorry. will buy one soon.

regarding to the fan problem. i hope lenovo will fix it soon. its not acceptable or me. i bought a 2000euro blow-dry

3. warmonked

warmonked Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is this the "Monitor Name" in hwinfo32? If so, mine is B140RW02 V1. Date of Manufacture: Week 1, 2010. Terrific. Year old display and it still took them 4 weeks to ship it.

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Are we looking in the same place? This is my HWiNFO32 summary:

(That's actually a photo, not a screen dump).

I wouldn't be over-reliant on the manufacturing data code. It may not be interpreted correctly.

John

5. ooxxoo

ooxxoo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the same code B140RW02 V1. It seems that is the AUO panel.

I can see why people complain but it doesn't really bother me. It looks like any other business grade matte screen to me. Maybe I'm just used to it though since I've only had non-Flexview Thinkpads for laptops and a NEC H-IPS monitor for desktop (so everything looks like crap in comparison anyway).

6. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    You certainly get two sets of opinions here. If I'd just be using my T61 throughout then upgraded to the T420, I would certainly say it's a wonderful improvement. However after comparing the T420 with the Dell E6420 with the same resolution and both have anti-glare matte finish, you can't help but feel that Lenovo could've made better choices with its panel selection.

7. raineed10

raineed10 Newbie

Reputations:
    Many thanks to the people contribute in this thread. I learned a lot about T420s.

Now I formally become a T420s owner just about 24 hours ago. I would like to comment on the laptop very briefly.

Good:

As has been mentioned, the screen is good in my opinion. Mine is also labeled as LP140WD2-TLB1.

The built quality is solid, especially when I open and close the lid.

Bad:

The DVD read/writer does not fit the ultrabay very well. I can see an obvious gap between the DVD and the body. The DVD is fixed so loose, that it still can be moved left and right in 0.5 mm when its in the bay.

When you grab the laptop at the DVD bay part, you can feel that it is not very solid. The bottom of the bay is quite soft.

Soso:

Cpu fan, I have a similar experience. In 2000 rpm, it is silent, but in 4000 rpm, the fan noise can be noticed, which is not different from other low price laptop.

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I think one reason for the poor fit is that Lenovo made the bay high enough to take a 9.5mm hard drive in an adaptor. This means there is a bit of clearance above the 9.5mm thick optical drive. I hadn't previously noticed the lateral movement but I can confirm that it is there on mine as well.

This may be related to the clearance around the optical drive. However, flexibility does not necessarily indicate weakness unless there's the risk of damage to something inside.

Another location with flex (and perhaps a little more worrying) is that when the computer is closed it is possible to squeeze the back of the display between the hinges. The other edges of the display are well supported.

John

PS: I'm sitting outside typing this. The display is on full brightness due to sunshine. The power drain is ~11W and Power Manager says 78% charge / 2 hours 40 minutes remaining. Reducing the display brightness will increase that run time substantially.

John

9. raineed10

raineed10 Newbie

Reputations:
    For this point, I checked my old Dell inspiron 6000. It is the same. I think all the laptop using similar type of hinges all have this problem.

I guess that designers are not allowed to put rubber buffers at the middle bottom of the screen. It is just too ugly.

And the screen is mounted on the hinges by two separated axises, so the middle part is flexible on pressure.

So it seems that one cannot avoid this, anyway.

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    My Dell E6410 is very solid in this area. The E6400 was also quite rigid and then Dell added some more rubber bumpers to stop plastic rubbing against plastic while the computer is being transported. Both those Dells have metal display backs to provide extra protection.

John