1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Thinkpad T420s Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by John Ratsey, Apr 30, 2011.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What about HWiNFO32's sensor tab?

John

2. rubaiyan

rubaiyan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nothing there either, at least nothing that's clearly labeled as GPU :\

3. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is more inline with my test results. 2-6 hours battery life depending on the load. 3-4 will be typical.

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Thanks. Perhaps that is one of the side-effects of Optimus - it makes the hardware more elusive to detect (did you get the GPU under load before starting HWiNFO32?). You could try contacting the author here - he may be able to fix the problem.

New subject:
    While I was checking HWiNFO32 I also looked at my main battery details.

[​IMG]

The 48Whr fully charged capacity (it's nominally 44Whr) may help explain why I'm seeing a bit more run time than others. :) However, Power Manager insists that the fully charged capacity is 43.97Whr. Maybe this explains why Power Manager can't get the project run time right (see my previous post) :confused: Has it been programmed like that?

Can you please check your own batteries.

John

5. rubaiyan

Reputations:
    good call, ran portal 2 in windowed mode and then ran HWiNFO32 and I was able to see all the NVIDIA GPU info (got the temp up to 80c with a few mintues of playing).

As for the battery mine is not fully charged right now but the general properties show:

Designed Capacity: 48052 mWh
    Full Charged Capacity: 48019 mWh

6. erik

erik modifier

Reputations:
    batteries typically ship with more capacity than rated.   i can't count the number of thinkpad batteries i've owned with a few extra watt hours of capacity above the normal spec.

runtime estimations are just that - estimations.   they can fluctuate as you use your system.

7. warmonked

warmonked Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I would agree the screen is about average for laptops, but I also think a screen that is "average for laptops" is a poor experience.

8. rubaiyan

Reputations:
    How do you enter the BIOS setup on these things? I tried pressing the blue ThinkVantage button but it takes me to a windows recovery thing and I don't get an option to enter the BIOS :\

9. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Press F1 while the BIOS screen is showing. You can also press F12 to get to a one time boot menu and there's also an option to go to the setup.

In case you haven't found it, there's a comprehensive PDF file User Guide under Start > Help and support. The BIOS is explained on page 155 onwards.

John

10. rubaiyan

Reputations:
    Got it thanks, I had tried F1 and F12 before but apparently I wasn't fast enough, there's like a 0.1 second window that you have to press the button in! >_<

and now, w00t! Fn & Ctrl swapped, now I'm happy. (This is my first thinkpad and I just couldn't get used to the weird ctrl location).

11. dodgy

dodgy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I placed my order on 5/5 and my estimated ship by date is 05/30. I was wondering if others were getting theirs shipped sooner than the estimated date?

Also, has anyone had any luck finding the Intel 80GB Soda Creek mSATA drive in stock anywhere?

12. rubaiyan

Reputations:
    BTW, for people asking about battery life, with the bay battery I get about 7 hours in normal usage (wifi, surfing, 10 brightness) without making any tweaks.

13. warmonked

warmonked Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine was shipped about a week earlier than the first estimated ship date, but I still had to wait about 3 weeks.

I'm still waiting for the Intel 80gb 310 to pop up somewhere online. Can't even find it on ebay.

14. ldrn

ldrn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine shipped 6 days after I ordered it. (Ordered the 4th, shipped the 10th.) Core i5, no Optimus since I use Linux.

And that's pretty reassuring, rubaiyan -- thanks. :)

15. redmars49

redmars49 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm that the CPU on the T420s is indeed soldered (and not socketed)? Though it is probably a safe assumption to believe it is due to previous models, I just want to make sure, thank you.

16. rubaiyan

Reputations:
    Grrr, damn it! I'm still getting overheating issues :(

17. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I am going to wish I had ordered the battery that goes in the Ultrabay for the coming trip I am taking. Thanks for the information.

You think the extra battery is causing this or is it Portal 2?

18. rubaiyan

Reputations:
    I'm attaching a short log (rename from .txt to .csv) from HWinfo which i started before I ran Portal 2 and it shows the temperatures I reached before It throttled.

Why would the battery cause this? It is being charged while I play so maybe it is a source of heat...

STILL! this shouldn't be happening! :mad:

Attached Files:

19. rubaiyan

Reputations:
    switching to integrated graphics I was able to play for much longer, cpu temperature still hitting mid 90s but I don't get into the issue where the frame rate suddenly drops and I have to restart (seems like it was the nvidia GPU that was doing that? it was getting close to 100 degrees)

*sigh*

20. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I've not dismantled by T420s but the fact that the maintenance manual does not include a CPU replacement step is a strong indication that the CPU is soldered. This is normal practice for thinner notebooks because the CPU socket adds to the thickness.

Have you tried the different options for the fan control? (In Power Manager, Power Plans > System Settings). What is your maximum fan speed? (Mine gets up to a noisy 4500rpm).

I've ordered the previous generation Ultrabay Battery II 43R9250 off ebay on the understanding that if it isn't compatible I can send it back. It's got a lower capacity than the current bay battery but is much more affordable. I'll report here on whether it works.

*** Update: It fits and is recognised. I wait to see whether this particular battery works OK because it arrived with 0% charge. ***

I'm starting to get annoyed by my display. Small text often has a dot matrix printer appearance.

John