Thinkpad T420s Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by John Ratsey, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
  2. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks, John. Having read your many posts in the Dell subforum and your product reviews, I'm sure your regular visit to this forum will be welcome.

Too bad, Lenovo does not offer the T420s in red. :D

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I'm looking forward to comparing the T420s with the other computers in my collection.

that would be nice. However, I think I'm stuck with Henry Ford's "in any color, so long as it's black".

John

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can always get a skin if you want to add some color. I had one for my X200. I thought it looked quite nice.

It's sort of a double edged sword. If you get an older ThinkPad, it might be a little thicker and heavier, and won't have the specs, but it'll look very similar to a new machine. Try that with a Dell or HP. ThinkPad design is simple, elegant and timeless. Form always follows function. You're going to get a notebook that's suited getting things done, but you can't have any of that if you're changing the design every five minutes.

5. Greenform

Greenform Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys,
    I m looking fwd to upgrading my HDD to SSD however, apparently mSata 80gb is out of stock. I couldn't find it anywhere. Don't know how long will it be available again. Therefore, i can't help but to considering other option in intel 320 80 gb.
    Can anyone give me some reasons why i shouldn't get this 7 mm SSD instead of mSata? Price/ read-write speed is about the same and i could save WWan slot. Any comment??

6. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I usually "have" several models in each generation ThinkPad family. It's the luxury and curse of being in the IT department and supporting a billion questions that come in from our employees. I have a T420s sitting right here but frankly haven't used it a hell of a lot. I don't own it. It's owned by my company. I will be happy to answer questions about it, to the best of my abilities.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Nice to see you've joined the dark side John...

Keep us updated with those super informative reviews you always do!

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Where would you put the Intel 320? In the main storage bay to replace the provided storage or into the bay instead of the optical drive? If it's to replace the main storage device then 80GB isn't much capacity. I think that's why people like the mSATA solution: Have a faster boot drive for Windows and programs while keeping the HDD for bulk storage. You alternative is more likely to replace the HDD with a 160GB Intel 320.

John

9. Dekabal

Dekabal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if there is a t420 with a discrete gpu? I heard about it somewhere but I haven't been able to find it.

10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Are you talking about T420 or T420s? Both models have Nvidia 4200M GPU w/Optimus...it's in the tabook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.