Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. junior21

junior21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay I'm still trying to insert my mSATA, I took off the battery and took out the hard drive. Where does the mSATA even go, I figured in the box like thing on the bottom but i unscrewed the screw but it wont come out.

2. popsch

popsch Newbie

Reputations:
    This thread is great and was very helpful in forming my decision. Three more questions before I press the buy button on the T420:

* Does QM67 port connected to the internal drive support SATA III? Intel's spec lists that there are two SATA III ports, but it's not clear whether they are used in the T420.

* Can I replace the built in hard drive with a 9mm thick SDD?

* Someone mentioned that one can replace the optical drive with another hard drive. Does someone have a link to a document showing how this is done, please?

Thanks a lot.

3. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    The mSATA slot is located at the DIMM slot underneath the system (it's the large squarish compartment in the middle). If you have a WWAN card then you will need to take this out before you can put on the mSATA drive. The screw doesn't come out completely on the DIMM compartment cover, its fixed so you will need to pry it open once you have loosen the screw.

The T420 can support SATA III, that includes the Ultrabay (optical drive) as well as the Hard Drive bay.

That shouldn't be a problem since the T420 can take 9.5mm drives quite easily.

You'll need an Ultrabay hard drive caddy to store another hard drive in the optical bay. Replacing it is rather easy, you'll need to eject the existing optical drive out and simply replace it in with the Ultrabay caddy.

There is no official caddy that fits flush with the T420 at the moment so you have to look for third party caddies, eBay is generally the place where you can get them.

4. junior21

junior21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I unscrewed the screw as far as I could, one corner seemed loose but the other is still pretty tight. I applied some force trying to pry it open but it didn't budge. I decided to call support and they told me I have to bring it to a registered store or something and gave me a link to find the closest one. I really don't feel like driving 5km to just have them properly loosen a screw and I didn't even remember to ask if they will do it for free...

What should I do, go to the store or just try and pry it open myself. I'm afraid if I use any more force I will break it though.

5. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    It's certainly not worth driving 5km just to get the DIMM cover open, it's quite a robust piece of plastic so you shouldn't be afraid to put a bit more force to get it open. Undo the screw until you hear a "click" noise which means it has been loosened. Then try to get underneath the cover, if you have trouble use a thin piece of cardboard or credit card to get underneath the cover and then pry it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wkearney99

wkearney99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Installing the mSATA and using a drive caddy are covered in the User's Guide PDF manual that comes with the machine.

7. popsch

popsch Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply and als the positive news.

So you mean that the ultrabay as well as the hard drive bay are connected to the SATA III ports of the QM67 chipset?

8. blackomegax

blackomegax Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They are.

IIRC reading someone putting a SATA3 ssd in the ultrabay and confirming the link-rate.

9. JDWI

JDWI Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey All.

After almost a month of waiting, my T420 finally arrived yesterday. It's my first Lenovo (coming from a Dell XPS M1530) and long story short, everything about the computer is great, but I'm not too thrilled with the screen (1600x900). If this were my work or secondary laptop, it wouldn't be a big deal, but since I also wanted this to double as my home computer, I'm not too sure that's going to work with this setup.

I started thinking about returning it and getting the T520, but am now thinking about buying an external monitor instead. I'm happy with my current specs and the screen is more than adequate for the times when I won't be using it at home; so my question is, does this sound like a good idea?

How easy is attaching an LCD monitor (looking in the 21"-27" range) and do I need a docking station?
    Any recommendations on which ones to look at?
    For those who may have been in a similar situation: is adding a monitor the best of both worlds, or do you think the T520 would have been a better choice?

Also, I opted for the Nvidia Optimus, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

10. ErikDenRaude

ErikDenRaude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    YOu can hook up a monitor to the displayport.

Is it the resolution that's troubling you, since you were considering the t520?