Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAA100

AAA100 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the information Hearst. I've playing around with the settings and think I have something I like.

On a side note, was anyone else pleasantly surprised by the amount of bloatware? I didn't clean install. I opted not to install Norton during the initial setup, and am now left with only:
    Symantec NIS installer (though a Symantec process is still running -__-U)
    Business-in-a-box installer (never heard of it)
    SimpleTap installer (looks like iPhone controls?)
    Skype installer (may use, but could always download later)

2. jerometam

jerometam Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought a HD+ monitor, LP140WD2 and installed it onto my T420 as an upgrade to my 1366 x 768 monitor, however, I found that there is some black stroke on the whole screen, like a zebra crossing :( The stroke appear even in the first screen with the ThinkPad logo.

Is there anything I've missed in the upgrade? do I need to upgrade the monitor cable or update the BIOS/UEFI too? I've taken the monitor back to the shop, and they can show me the monitor is working without any problem. So I wonder if it is a hardware problem of my machine.

Please help...

3. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    You only need a CD-R for the boot disk as it doesn't really need that much space to store the required boot information, but what's done is done. Ensure you keep the discs at a safe place for future use.

As for the recovery partition you can go to Computer Management (type it in the search bar) and go to Disk Management. You can right click on the Recovery partition and remove it by deleting it or formatting it. Alternatively when you install a clean copy of Windows you can remove it from there also.

What's the Monitor ID from the panel? Ensure it reads as LEN40A1 to indicate its a genuine Lenovo panel (use MonInfo or HWInfo for retrieve this information). If it doesn't you should return it as later ThinkPads are quite picky with the LCD EDID information. If you're persistant you could reflash the panel EDID with a software called PowerStrip (it's not free) thouh I haven't got the LG EDID code, I was hoping someone would kindfully contribute theirs as I only have the AUO panel EDID code which is seen on the Q&A section.

If the panel is genuine, then there's a possibility that the LCD cable is different with the HD panels compared to the HD+ ones hence its unable to signal out properly though I can't confirm 100% on this. It could be worth trying a different cable but before doing so ensure the LCD cable connectors are fully secure to the panel as it is quite easy for it to be dislodged.

4. jerometam

jerometam Newbie

Reputations:
    The monitor ID reads LP140WD2, the FRU number does meet the Lenovo FRU number, so I just wonder what is missing in my upgrade. Thanks for your info, I'll try it again~ and btw, what is an EDID code?

> LG-Philips LP140WD2-TLB1 panel [Thanks LoneWolf15]
    > Lenovo ID: LEN40A1/LGD02E2
    > Lenovo FRU: 93P5689
    This one

5. PatchySan

Reputations:
    EDID (or Extended Display Identification Data) contains information about your monitor/panel such as the Serial Number, Model Number, Panel Size, Pixel Resolutions, Color Types etc. so when you connect your computer to the monitor/panel it will know exactly what to output.

Lenovo tends to check the EDID to ensure its a Lenovo specific panel before booting up the system, if it doesn't match then it will refuse to work which is a bit of a pain.

6. SmoothTofu

SmoothTofu Inspiron 1420 Owner

Reputations:
    What frame rates are people getting with the webcam? I'm only getting 7-8 fps at 720p even though my cpu usage is 1-2%... is there any way to increase that?

7. purza

purza Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I'm ordering T420 4178 tomorrow. I need some help in choosing between Intel 310 msata 80 G SSD and Intel 320 120G SSD. Will 320 be better in speed? If I go with 320, there might be rail problems and need for caddy.

In Questions and Answers were
    "Q. Does the ThinkPad T420 support SATA III (SATA 6GB/s)?
    A. All ThinkPads with Huron River architecture support SATA III speeds, this includes the ThinkPad T420."

My thinkpad's specs say
    "Serial ATA Interface : Serial ATA-300"

So will it really be SATA 6G? If so, I will go with SATA III SSD instead of mSATA.
    Thanks!

8. junior21

junior21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm trying to get my mSATA running, I finished making the factory recovery discs (1 CD+3 DVD's), what's the next step(s).

9. PatchySan

Reputations:
    The ThinkPad T420 supports SATA III which is also called SATA 600, that means any drive that has this designation could theoretically use up the extra capacity in bandwidth which equates to much faster read/write speeds than the previous SATA generation.

Which one however is down to preference, I would hold off against the Intel 320 (this is a SATA II-300 drive BTW) because there are some reliability issues though a fix is apparantly on the way in a few weeks time. There's no issues with the mSATA SSDs at the time of writing however, its ideal should you wish to increase capacity without sacrificing the HDD or DVD bay plus its only marginally slower than the standard SATA II SSD drives.

If you want absolute speed then you're probably keen on the SATA III drives. They're not without flaws however since it's relatively new technology, the Intel 510 has a warm reboot delay issue and the Crucial & OCZ SSDs are said to require tweaking with the Operating System registry otherwise it may crash unexpectantly with certain drivers (notably the Intel RST driver). Things may have improved over time for the OCZ or Crucial drive but I only have the Intel 510 on my T420 and I can say the reboot issue still persists at the time of writing.

You have the option of either using the Recovery Discs and install it on the mSATA drive (easiest but less control on what apps goes on the installation) or perform a Clean Install and start from scratch (more control but time consuming).

You could read ferganer80's mSATA installation guide should you wish to proceed with the Clean Installation method. You could also use my guide as well for reference too but make sure you downloaded the basic drivers before proceeding, ideally copying the DRIVERS folder from the SWTools folder on the root drive (C: drive) to a USB pen drive.

10. junior21

junior21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well as you could tell, I know almost nothing about computers so the easier method would probably be better. What do you mean exactly when you say I have less control and do you have a link on a guide to the easier installation method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.