]]>

Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 M$ BotNet 10

Reputations:
    Well the 900p panels are all feces tier anyways. You can pick the best dung out of a pile of dung, but you'll still end up with a dung in your hand (or eye, for that matter).

Screens are usually not that expensive iirc, you can get ones that work with this kit from ebay.

I've heard mentions of screencountry being reputable in the US but haven't dealt with them personally.

Woodzstack (member here) also sells screens, have many selections.

Do note that if you're buying on ebay, you need to be careful because a lot of them is scam.

The seller will usually list the item that you want, with the picture of the item that you want. Ie: the screen revision of n AUO B140 version 2 for example, but they will say "or compatible" somewhere crafty in the description or send you a message upon shipping that the item is somewhat different etc. THEY WILL send you a non-conforming version of what you want or even a "compatible" panel but is inferior.

Several people over reddit have ordered the 1600x900 "compatible" lcd and received the inferior 1366x768 model due it being "compatible" with the thinkpad model. These ebay scammers have even went as far as putting 'exact model' in the listing title to deceive potential customers.

Take clear screenshots of the listing, but without the "or compatible" description included. You can use this as evidence.

When you have the item. You can play around with the screen and see if it works, if it works it's great, but if you don't get the revision that you wanted you can get your money back.

I usually claim that the item as being not as described, ask for a refund with covered shipping by seller. I just let it open no matter what the seller says, and maybe 1-2 days (disregarding business days) I will let the seller know that s/he needs to fully comply with my refund request or I will proceed to get ebay involved, request a bank chargeback, and leave the seller a bad review.

Don't have mercy for these sellers as they are scammers!

yaonyc likes this.
  2. yaonyc

yaonyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    all good points.

IPS FHD is the best option (the IPS FHD panel on my Dell e6440 is outstanding. im always at 50% screen brightness indoors and 70% outdoors)

the 300 nits 1600 x 900 alienware option is a considerably better than the stock t420 1600 x 900.

And you are correct, the scammers who sell "compatibles" on ebay and amazon need to be dealth with accordingly.

i'm on panellook.com and there are some vendors in china / taiwan who have stock. again, must verify its 'actual' with pics of the panel and other verification means.

which would you do? would you go with the taobao FHD model and FHD panel or get a high quality HD+ tn panel? (plug and play).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 M$ BotNet 10

Reputations:
    If you don't want to mod, then go and get the hd+ tn.

But the taobao kit seems to just plug and play... It's only the controller board that needs extra work because you're arranging the wires inside the machine.

Might be worth to invest in EMI shielding tape for extra assurance, not sure exactly what they're called. Maybe @Khenglish can help.

yaonyc likes this.
  4. yaonyc

Reputations:
    The mod seems rather simple. the plug and play HD+ is about 10-15 minutes. the FHD mod could be 1.5 hr+ but its fun activity right? :)

and i agree with you, the securely mount the module inside the laptop is a important.

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 M$ BotNet 10

Reputations:
    On taobao it's shown with a 3d printed board.

Haven't contacted seller to get more info.

yaonyc likes this.
  6. yaonyc

Reputations:
    i will be happy to contact taobao. what questions would you ask to verify it works perfectly?

7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 M$ BotNet 10

Reputations:
    Video of the said lcd board working, and showing screen no flicker + detected as internal + brightness adjustment working.

Maybe if not video, actual pictures. The ones put up for the listing seems generic and low quality.

Might be worth asking how to request the 3d printed bracket, I see no option for that in the listing page and/or the checkout page.

yaonyc likes this.
  8. yaonyc

Reputations:
    hi mobius,

just decided, i will go for the taobao LCD module. and see how it goes. its only $43 USD and perhaps i can get a hold of a AUO B140HAN01.2 for $50 USD range.

I'll take this plunge and report back to you :)

powerslave12r likes this.
  9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 M$ BotNet 10

Reputations:
    best of luck!

powerslave12r and yaonyc like this.
  10. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would love to see these results as well. Thank you so much.

yaonyc likes this.