]]>

Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. yaonyc

yaonyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    And yes. No official windows 10 support but i know some people running 10 with no issue.

2. yaonyc

Reputations:
    I'm about to do a swap for the glossy Alienware m14x r2 1600 x 900 display. so far from my readings, no flicker and a quick swap.

the flickering is from the FHD upgrade. i read that the LCD module / wire has some problems from a vendor called RMS (??)

but there is another china vendor who sells their FHD module that has no problems.

the module is about $100 USD and the FHD panel is about $50. I like the upgrade but its a pricey upgrade.

The glossy alienware panel upgrade should only be about $35 to 55 USD.

best of luck to you

3. yaonyc

Reputations:
    hello T420 owners,

Battery life question:

i read through most of this thread and see some folks say they get anywhere from 6-8 hrs real world mixed usage battery life with the 9 cell 94wh battery?

Can anyone further confirm this?

Any when swapping to quad core CPU, it has negligible affect on battery as well?

thank you.

4. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the details. That's a very interesting project you have going on, good luck!

yaonyc likes this.
  5. yaonyc

Reputations:
    thanks powerslave.

lets see how this old thinkpad can do in 2018 :)

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 M$ BotNet 10

Reputations:
    RMS says the T420/T430 WQHD/FHD by javi-jie converter board will be available as soon as the T420-S/T430-S boards have break even in terms of cost.

There are kits out there, a copy of the T420-S/T430-S FHD converter board by javi-jie, with different cable lengths to accommodate the T420/T430 chassis. However rumored that the screen flickering problem is not completely eliminated due to EMI/signal interference.

Another solution by KK (51nb) is to use the dock's eDP lane to control an internal LCD, but you will not be able to use the eDP output on the dock. CMIIW this solution is similar to nitrocaster's X220/X230 "pepe board" converter.

I think you should just wait for the V2 kit, or buy the copy.

Current available kits (as of 12 Feb 2018)

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...vrpESU&id=555538738686&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162887293940

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LCD...27e6b15&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=0

@PatchySan still alive?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    yaonyc and powerslave12r like this.
  7. yaonyc

Reputations:
    thank you for this mobius,

I believe the aliexpress and ebay vendor are the same. taobao is another vendor.

taobao has it priced around $43 USD and that makes it very affordable now! :)

ebay is close to $100 and aliexpress around $80.

These current kits are 'no flicker' kits?

8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 M$ BotNet 10

Reputations:
    According to rmsmajestic it does reduce the potential of flickering issue (I'm assuming the T420/T430 adapters that were made from -S boards), it still has the potential to develop flickering issue BUT less to an extent compared to the v1 of Javi's T420/T430 FHD mod.
    Then again the V1 did work with zero issues for some people. So YMMV.

Take with a grain of salt because rms is javi's friend over at 51nb and also acts as javi's english sales representative (chinese forum). Whether or not he's saying this due to personal bias (includes being upset at other people copying javi's v1 -S FHD kit without permission) or the information is the actual truth is unknown.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 9:35 PM
    yaonyc likes this.
  9. yaonyc

Reputations:
    great info. thanks again mobius.

is it worth the hassle? at least from a cost perspective, the taobao option you gave us makes it better (vs. $150 - $175+ USD for an FHD upgrade which is practically the cost of a T420).

OR just continue the path of the 1600 x 900 drop in panel upgrade (Alienware, etc) for about $50+ USD.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 M$ BotNet 10

Reputations:
    @yaonyc edited my post to make information clearer. Changes in bold text.

yaonyc likes this.