Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    I checked 3 of my ThinkPad T420's for similar symptoms (both 6 cell and 9 cell) and I don't have any issues with the battery so it does sound a bit odd. What's the condition of the battery hooks look like? Plus is there any debris in the mounting holes?

2. dadude

dadude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I did just take a peek at the mounting notches and it looks like perhaps some plastic is torn away in the holes. I've included a dropbox gallery link to three photos of each individual mounting hole. Please take a look and see what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h3vdofgd323dsbh/AAAecVx9BEAwov0rFniEnUkKa?dl=0

3. PatchySan

Reputations:
    Unfortunately it seems someone had gone a bit aggressive and ripped off parts of the base plastics hence why you're experiencing unsual movements with the battery.

These are the mount holes from my T420 to give you an idea of what it should look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You could consider getting some plastic repair kits from some DIY stores to repair the damage or search for salvaged T420 units and replace the bottom base if it becomes a hindrance.

4. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Guys, quick question here.
    Is it possible to switch broken palmrest of T420 by T410's one? And what is interchangeable in these models? Thanks.

5. PatchySan

Reputations:
    The T420 is slightly different to the T410 so the palmrests are not interchangeable i'm afraid. The things which are interchangeable between the two are the keyboards and 9.5mm hard drive caddy with rails.

You can get a brand new T420 palmrest from places like AliExpress for about 20 bucks, just swap over the touchpad and fingerprint sensor from the old one to the new and you should be good to go. Alternatively you can look out for parts and salvage T420 units and strip out what you need and resell the rest after as they are not expensive to acquire these days.

James D likes this.
  6. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ahh just found this thread.

Does anyone know if the T420 could bootup without its RAM cover? or does it have to have the ram cover to power on? Thanks,

Thanks,

7. PatchySan

Reputations:
    You can run the T420 without the RAM cover underneath, I did it a few times when I wanted to do some quick testing after disassembly but it's not ideal in the long run as it will be prone to short circuiting or static if it touches anything while on.

8. Alkahest

Alkahest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, anyone knows why repeating entries appears in the t420 boot menu? I've got a mSATA ssd and the stock HDD, and they appear repeated like three times in the boot menu

9. iphetamine

iphetamine Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm looking for an ultra bay battery, but on ebay they seem to be only for the t420s. Do these exist for the regular T420?

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My recollection, which may be faulty(perhaps even likely), is they stopped making the optical bay batteries for the standard T series when the slimmer S series models came out and the optical bay batteries were then only available for the S series models. I don't really recall the reasoning. My own experience with them is they're terrible batteries. Since they always discharge first, they wear quickly, I think the one I had my for R60 was at less than 50% capacity after six months.