Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    No the ThinkPad T420 is usually rock solid so the symptoms you've mentioned is not normal. As with above you may want to check the integrity of the RAMs by running MemTest86+ to ensure it's not the modules that are playing up.

If you're running high speed RAM's (such as PC3-12800 and above) I have noticed that the T420 tend to be quite fickle depending on what BIOS version you have. Version 1.37 is a safe BIOS for high speed RAM's so if you are exhibiting some strange behaviour like it refuses to boot and beeps randomly you may want to use the 1.37 BIOS instead if you are on the later versions.

If the RAMs are fine then check the condition of the hard drive. Tools such as CrystalDiskInfo can analyse the health and mileage of your hard drive, if its flags up in Yellow (Caution) and has "Reallocated Sectors" then seriously consider getting a replacement drive asap and backup your data before it deteriorates.

The only other thing I can think of after is then evaluate your Windows install. You can try running a live Linux distro (like Ubuntu or Mint) to see if it exhibits any odd behaviour, if the live distro performs normally then it could point to a Windows related problem such as poor drivers or software conflicts.

If the T420 came preinstalled with Windows from an unverified source then consider doing a clean installation manually and install the drivers yourself. A Windows 7 ISO can be found on the front page of this thread if you need it and can be activated by the product key on the COA sticker underneath the battery.

2. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. I don't have physical access to the machines but I'll try to find out as much as I can.

I had clean installed windows on receiving it. It may be a driver issue. I don't know what version the BIOS is at.

3. AppRoYale

AppRoYale Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply guys. I hope you saw that I was asking for the T420-S.
    • From what I read is that you change use the T420 Keyboard also in the T420-S, right?
    • As RAM I can use any random and cheap 16 GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 CL9, right?
    • Is there any site to buy cheap hardware stuff from? Or just Ebay, Amazon, Mindfactory, etc?
    • I also read there is some guideline to save some battery. Is one able to imagine something?
    Thank you so much for you answer. I love this Forum already.

4. PatchySan

Reputations:
    Yes, both the T420 and T420s share the same keyboard.
    As long it matches the minimum specifications then any brand would work. For peace of mind look for ones that offer Lifetime Warranty on their modules just in case you need to do a RMA.
    If you're not fussed with second hand then eBay is usually cheaper. If you insist on brand new tech and not in a rush then I would probably wait until after Christmas where more than likely there would be sales on these sort of things. Amazon do have some decent deals when they're in the mood so you can keep an eye on that.
    If you're using Windows 7 then you can tweak the Power Manager to maximise the battery life. You can also change the charging thresholds to reduce the cycle count and prolong the lifetime of your battery too.

5. Viet Vu

Viet Vu Newbie

Reputations:
    I have just upgrade my Thinkpad T420 form Windows7 to Windows10, fresh all. But some combo Fn key's not working (Fn+F8,F6..) although i install hotkey driver new or old.Pls help me solve!thanks!

6. aiyajacky

aiyajacky Newbie

Reputations:
  7. PatchySan

Reputations:
    The mSATA you selected should be fine. As for RAMs the latter kit (1.5v) should definitely work with the T420, some people have mentioned that 1.35v RAM modules also works with the T420 but I yet to verify this myself to give you a definitive answer.

To conclude the mSATA and the last option for the RAMs is a safe choice for the ThinkPad T420.

8. aiyajacky

aiyajacky Newbie

Reputations:
    any programs out there that can test if there is a problem with the motherboard/ram/graphics/sound/screen/battery etc etc for this laptop?

9. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter - Super Moderator

Reputations:
  10. dadude

dadude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought a t420 at one point during one of the refurb sales, really is a very solid machine. The one I have does have one minor issue though, the battery does not stay latched in place. The latch does work, I can slide the release over and the latches move but it's as if the battery isn't latching into the case of the machine. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Any suggestions what to try to possibly remedy the issue?

Many thanks