Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. livebriand

livebriand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think I've had to call Microsoft to activate when doing this before, although I've occasionally had to type in the (same) key again when activation failed the first time. Though if you do, no big deal. :)

2. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ended up calling MS. It's automated and only took a few minutes. Pretty painless. I like that the Lenovo has the COA under the battery where it doesn't get obliterated over time.

The 18 year old is pretty happy with the idea of getting a laptop. I sprung it on him this morning before he went to work. He didn't know I bought one. :thumbsup:

3. Libig78

Libig78 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

I've bought used T420 (4236W6X) with Intel HD 3000 (no dedicated GPU) with screen running at 1366x768 resolution. I'd like to replace the screen with the 1600x900 HD+, however I am not sure whether the HD 3000 will support this resolution. Could somebody clear this?

Thanks!

4. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    The Intel HD 3000 GPU will support that resolution no problem, it can even exceed HD+ resolutions if you have the external monitors available. However you probably need the HD+ LVDS cable for it to work if you're upgrading the screen, the part number for that is 04W1618.

5. jedisurfer1

jedisurfer1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah I'd follow that advice, you will definitely need to replace the lcd cable to run 1600x900

6. Libig78

Libig78 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. That sounds good. Do you have any tips where to order such screen (shipment to Europe) in case I want only LG or SAMSUNG brands, and for reasonable price? It is unsure what brand I can get from ebay sellers...

7. iphetamine

iphetamine Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ...nevermind..

8. jayjr1105

jayjr1105 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, working on a family member's t420 with nvidia graphics and it has some serious sound issues. I just cloned the hard drive because the old one was failing and I'm noticing sound only works 1 out of 5 boots. I talked with the owner and apparently this has been an issue for over a year. When the sound isn't working, you can't even re-install the driver because it doesn't detect a sound card whatsoever. I can't even find any audio settings in the BIOS to disable/re-enable.

Some quick google searching reveals this particular model has a variety of audio issues. Even booting to a live Linux CD like ubuntu yields the same problem so it MUST be hardware.

Should I contact Lenovo support to see if this is a known issue?

9. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I got a T420 yesterday and I really like it so far. The weight/size to screen ratio is great and the keyboard is very nice to use. I do have some questions though:

1. When I got it, there was a fresh install of Windows 7 on it. I downloaded Lenovo's Update Utility along with the Power Manager. Is there any other Lenovo software I need to install on this laptop to make it better?

When I installed some of the Lenovo software, it did not appear on the start menu list of programs. I am fairly sure these programs were installed but they are not visible there.

2. How will the restore process work on this laptop if I want to start all over again? I do not have the Windows 7 copy. I am going to make an assumption that I need to get a physical Windows 7 copy and then use the key located on the laptop.

Thank you for any response.

10. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:

A matter of personal preference, really. If it has a conventional hard drive and not SSD, Active Protection System should be downloaded. If you use more than one networking profile on a regular basis, Access Connections could be useful. Hotkeys are another very useful thing in my opinion.

Yep, that sounds about right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.