Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hrmmm.... From the pictures the sell put up on eBay I think I actually got sold a T420s. The port layout tells the tale. The bulk of the ports are on the back: VGA, DisplayPort, Ethernet, USB 3.0 (it's blue and the T420 doesn't have USB 3.0)

The seller had some other issues with his listing. The description stated 8GB RAM, but the detailed specs stated 4GB RAM. If it's the "s" model I am probably Ok with that. I wasn't really looking for the that one, but I think that's what I got.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Thoughts?

Here is a link to the eBay auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T420...14443522&pid=100018&prg=20140116140730&rkt=4&

2. jedisurfer1

jedisurfer1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think you did ok. I prefer the t420s over the t420 for sitting in front of the TV or carrying around. If you travel around a lot and need 3+ hours of battery than the t420 would be better. But for a dedicated vid card and 256gb ssd you did ok.

3. deadsmiley

Reputations:
    Yeah that add was really jacked up. Its a 320 HDD

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

4. deadsmiley

Reputations:
    This arrived in the mail yesterday.

Things are not quite as described.

The CPU is 2.5GHz vs. the stated 2.6GHz i5.
    It lacks the NVS 4200M.

It is a T420s vs. T420. This means no possibility of a 9 cell battery.

The thing is I don't think any of this will matter to my stepson except the battery life. He wants a computer to learn java. He has an Xbox 360 for games.

However, I am not thrilled that the machine is not as advertised. Yet the T420s trends to go for more money than the T420.

Just a stream of thoughts here.

Anyone that wants to come in feel free to do so.

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

5. bluecinnabar

bluecinnabar Newbie

Reputations:
    I think it's worthwhile to contact the seller and inform him that the item was not as described. He/She may offer a partial refund, granted you could be satisfied with the item but it's bad business practice to sell you an item listed incorrectly. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. silverbyte

silverbyte Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    does anyone know if there is an adapter to fit the newer rectangular tip to my older round tip ? I'm looking out for the situation that I forget my charger and have to borrow someone else's - all the new lenovo models have a rectangular tip so it is looking more likely that I will run into someone who has the newer tip and I want to use it in my older thinkpad.

All the converters that I have seen talk about round to rectangular... but not the other way around.

7. aaurnab

aaurnab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Latest Bios 1.46 is sucks for my eGPU. its shares 100% cpu when playing 3D games. I downgrade to 1.37 and solve that problems.

8. doug-jensen

doug-jensen Newbie

Reputations:
    On the T420, next to the Ultrabay there is a small sliding switch. In one position it reveals green and in the other position the green is covered up. Will someone please tell me what the function of this switch is? Thank you!

9. jedisurfer1

jedisurfer1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    that's the wireless switch it turns it off/on

10. bense

bense Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to get a Mini-PCIe card working in the mSATA/WWAN/mini-PCIe slot that is next to the RAM slot?

I have a half-height MiniPCIe Atheros AR9380 in the half height mini-PCIe slot that is underneath the keyboard.
    To get it working, I had to install a modified BIOS (version 1.46) in which has the whitelist removed.

I have tried a plethora of Mini PCIe cards working in the full height mSATA/WWAN/mini-PCIe slot that is on the bottom, underneath the DIMM cover. (See posted images below). I have however, been able to get an Atheros 9462 working in this full height MSATA/WWAN/mini-PCIe slot. However, the AR9462 is a combo card, where the PCIe portion of the card is 2x2:2 802.11abgn wifi, and the USB 2.0 portion of the card has Bluetooth 4.0. I am able to see, and use the Bluetooth side of this AR9462 card, however I have not been able to even see the wifi portion of this card. I have tried this in both windows and in linux by using (ethtool, lshw, pci). It does not show up. I have tested this same AR9462 card in other machines of mine and it works properly. I have toggled disabling and enabling WWAN slot in BIOS, as well as internal bluetooth (as opposed to the ar9462's bluetooth), all to no avail.

From what I have read, this full height mSATA/WWAN slot is compatible with both MiniPCIe and mSATA cards... Is this correct? Please advise.

Here are screen shots of the lenovo t420 hardware maintenance manual, where the mSATA/WWAN/mini-PCIe slot is mentioned.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]