Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Generally a digital connection like DVI, HDMI and Displayport should be more stable and provide a consistent image compared to analogue VGA where signals can fluctuate causing degradation and noise. For your Ultrasharp monitor it's always advisable to run at its native resolution which is a rather useful resolution of 1920 x 1200 (this is actually better than Full HD resolutions you find nowadays). For an IPS monitor I would recommend using a Displayport to DVI adapter along with the standard DVI cable, it would be waste to use VGA connection on a screen like that in my opinion!

2. i2004tor

i2004tor Newbie

Reputations:
    Would a Displayport-to-DVI setup be somehow better than a Displayport-to-HDMI setup? Or vice versa? I am looking to buy an adapter as well (for my T430s) to work with one of my 2 monitors, one of which had an HDMI port, and the othet a DVI.

Thanks.

3. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Both DVI and HDMI use digital signals so output should be the same. The reason I mentioned Displayport to DVI is because the Dell UltraSharp U2412M monitor can only accept either VGA or DVI connection, it doesn't have a HDMI port!

Which adapter however depends on which display you want to use, if you plan to connect to a TV then I would recommend Displayport to HDMI. The reason is that not only it provides a consistent video signal, it can also output sound so you don't need a separate cable for audio. PC Monitors and Projectors I would incline to say DVI since it's a common interface in this field, but I would check the equipment first to see if it can support HDMI as well so it gives you that flexibility should you want to run it on TV's as well.

4. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You should use the full size DisplayPort connection from your T420 to the Dell U2412M. DisplayPort is the very best connection type from your T420 to your LCD panel. Pure digital. That is what I use with my U2711.

Cables are not expensive. See Video Cables - DisplayPort

5. fedee

fedee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks a lot for your very clear answers, very kind of you to take the time to reply to my probably very naive question. I was confused!
    One more thing: as I live in the UK, would this cable be OK for my T420-U2412m?
    MP 6Ft Displayport Male To Displayport Male 28Awg Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'm asking because it says "provides up to 1080p resolution with digital audio". Is this a limitation?

PS Great forum this one!

6. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. FMruss

FMruss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone had any problems with the Lenovo Solutions Center software? Mine refuses to launch when I click on the notification icon on the taskbar and I have tried re-installing the software but no luck. I will try another re-install removing the lsc software first. I wonder if my windows anti-virus is blocking it.

8. 1b3x_p34k

1b3x_p34k Newbie

Reputations:
    I had trouble with the Lenovo software, once i had Adobe Air uninstalled, and another time i had hardened my Windows setup and the virus scanner or security rules were blocking some of the Lenovo software, a clean install did the job.

9. FMruss

FMruss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! Will try this out.

10. 1b3x_p34k

1b3x_p34k Newbie

Reputations:
    You could also try a registry cleaner after you uninstalled the software and then install it again,
    or you could try and run the software as an administrator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.