Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blinder

blinder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why is the audio driver unsigned?

2. evil_kenaj

evil_kenaj Newbie

Reputations:
    I figured out that program which is part of this driver is constantly using dGPU. It is obvious that this has dramatic influence on battery life.
    Anybody have idea how to manage with this?
    I already switch to integra in Nvidia panel every piece of program which I found in its root folder.

Edit:

After another reboot (3rd I guess) it set itself right ;]
    I've tried some games and external monitor to check how it will behave.
    dGPU is turning off but with some delay (~ 2 min).
    I think I can live with it ;]

To be clear:
    If Dolby uses your dGPU turn every exe file in its root folder to integra in Nvidia Control Panel and reboot (if not once try again but of course not overdo it ^^).

3. pchome

pchome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am new to the T420 forum as I am thinking of getting it instead of the W520 I already have. I do not like the throttling on battery I have and the delay in everything when working on battery with the W520. Does T420 suffer the same issue whether I get the Intel Graphics 3000 or the discrete graphics?

Please, help me with this issue so I can make my buying decision.

Thanks.

4. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    What applications do you use when you noticed the throttling on the W520 in battery mode? I have a T420 with Core i5-2520M CPU and integrated graphics but don't have an issue with throttling when using the battery. Though my power profile is optimised for battery life rather than outright performance in these circumstances.

As a test however I switched to the Maximum Peformance profile despite using the battery and ran Prime95. At max the CPU was around 83-85c at full load but no throttling was reported by HWInfo during the tests.

5. pchome

pchome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your response. I experience it right now (as an example) while opening about 30 tabs in Firefox with 3 Word files, Windows Live Mail, Adobe Acrobat Professional X, and 1 Excel file but it can hapen with even just internet browsing and moving from tab to tab. Also, the key strokes are delayed when I write in this thread or on Word.

I still wanna go the Thinkpad direction but wanted to see if there is a different machine even with less specs but will not throttle on battery and will just work equally on AC and battery. Do you think T420 with core i7 dual core only Intel Graphics 3000 should be the way to go? Also, does it matter if I get the discrete graphics or not?

6. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you at home or work when you do this?

7. pchome

pchome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Both if this helps!

8. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My solution has always been to buy several AC adapters. Plugged in you have no throttling or performance issues.

Given your application mix on battery, it appears to me your power management settings are incorrect. You should not see performance issues with that mix.

9. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Just to make sure it's a case of thermal throttling, run HWInfo32 (run the portable version) and check the CPU status on the summary page when you do your work. If the Thermal Status reports as OK but still stutters it's more likely to be something else. But if it does report Throttling then strangely your W520 seem to be struggling on tasks where it should be able to run fine.

10. pchome

pchome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is what I am doing (one charger for home and one for work) but I still need to move between meetings without a charger. I have my power manager settings set to maximum performance in all aspects and so is my BIOS. This is the second machine to try with the same symptoms. I do understand that throttling is by design but as you just mentioned, I do not expect it to cause such symptoms with such mix of programs!

Since my understanding from a Lenovo rep statement in Lenovo's forum that having the CPU and discrete GPU enabled on battery is the cause and cannot be solved except with connecting it to AC. My question is, will a T420 with only Intel Graphics 3000 be free from the symptoms I explained?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.