Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolguyrocks

coolguyrocks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just ran CrystalDiskInfo and it said it is in good health. Hopefully it will last for me. I'll keep a check on it. Thanks for the help

2. blinder

blinder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's a bit deceiving, but even though the error has the word "service" in it, doesn't mean it is related to a windows service specifically. MSDN tells us that the error is being caused when tranferring control from user mode to kernel mode (SYSENTER), this could be caused by anything. Disabling random services won't help the OP.

I would still generate and analyse a dump to narrow down the issue, it'll take ten minutes, and will at least give you an idea of exactly what driver is failing here.

3. ashchicken

ashchicken Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't advocate disabling "random services." I specifically pointed out 3rd party code is most likely to cause an issue. I provided a method whereby the OP could filter out Microsoft's own services and get down to the stuff most likely to be causing the issue.

There's nothing wrong with taking the memdump and analysing it.

Perhaps a driver is causing an issue. I just think that, in light of stability in the rest of the machine's running, it actually is a service to blame, and not a driver. By the time the UI is up at the log in screen, all drivers are already loaded and running. But services are still being brought up. Perhaps a corner case with one of these is causing an exception.

To the other guy who didn't like Memtest: I've been using that program in a professional environment for 8 years. In my experience it's rock solid, and if RAM is a problem it has never failed to reveal that to me. YMMV.

4. whizzergo

whizzergo Newbie

Reputations:
    Many thanks for all the responses guys. A much better response than on the Lenovo forums!!!

I removed the RAM (which I had convinced myself must be causing the problems) only to find that the same issue continued straight away.

Alas, i've since stopped worrying about it and it appears to have gone away. I won't count my chickens too soon but in the last 5 cold starts/reboots it hasn't occured.

As soon as it does though i'll be sure to post the log details as request.

Once again, many thanks for the kind replies.

5. blinder

blinder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Disabling services one by one and rebooting, and then waiting would take ages. Far quicker to analyse the dump.

All Windows services run in user mode, you cant cause a BSOD from user mode, if it's not hardware failure, it will be a driver causing the bugcheck and not a service.

Also Rapidboot suspends some drivers loading until after boot is complete, and after winlogon has executed.

And just because a driver has "loaded", doesn't mean it's stable, if it's part of say the network stack and is being passed IRPs as a part of that stack, and doesn't handle them correctly, it can cause a bugcheck any time after the system has booted.

6. whizzergo

whizzergo Newbie

Reputations:
    Evening Guys,

I'm struggling to get any sort of memory dump info from the system. Having changed the settings to allow a small memory dump, it's not creating the 'MiniDump' folder when rebooting/BSODing at startup.

Any ideas?

7. speedbird889

speedbird889 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I do not know if this is the correct forum to post this question so please redirect me if it isn't.

I purchased a T420 model 4178-6VU with nvidia Optimus. I also got the intel 80G msata drive installed.

I am quite happy with the laptop... it is the first Thinkpad I have ever owned and I don't know what took me so long.

I installed Fedora 16 (Linux) on the laptop and it truly shines.

The problem is that I cannot get any thing to display on an external monitor (I am using only the intel graphics card) via the display port to hdmi monitor. I am wondering if the intel card cannot see the display port at all. I have not tried the db15 port as none of my monitors has a db15 input.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a workaround?

Any help appreciated.

8. speedbird889

speedbird889 Newbie

Reputations:
    Never mind.

I did a clean install of Windows 7 and optimized for the ssd. I can now run Fedora full time in Virtual Box.

Thanks.

9. EZjijy

EZjijy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I recently bought a ultrabay and a SSD is on the way. Should I have the ssd in the main or ultrabay? I would like for it to be in the main, but I worry for my HDD in a less secure place.

10. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Use BitLocker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.