Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Interesting because my T420 battery does something very similar, but around 27% for me then Windows gives a sudden warning saying its on its last 5%. Simply put, i'm fed up with shoddy Sanyo batteries in ThinkPads.

2. jedisolo

jedisolo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have this problem with the Intel Management Engine Interface on my new T420. The driver won't install and I have downloaded the correct driver. Am I doing something wrong. I have tried everything to install this driver.

It's giving me this error "The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name".

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Intel Management Interface Engine.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed.

3. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Instead of using the Intel installer use the Device Manager and point it to the directory of where the drivers for the Intel Management Engine Interface is. Windows should be able to pick it up and install it from there on.

4. csclifford

csclifford Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've also been consistently having this problem with my X220. It's been slowly getting on my nerves more and more, as sometimes with 25% I have 2 or more hours left or sometimes my 25% only lasts me 10 minutes.

5. Shamoke

Shamoke Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did battery reset help reduce the problem?

6. jedisolo

jedisolo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks and it worked.

7. iphetamine

iphetamine Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    WOW!! That's crazy!

I updated by bios from 1.22 to 1.35 and the loading times in faster, especially when I go into desktop everything seems A LITTLE faster.
    Don't know if it's true or just a placebo effect. :p

8. Adwait Kulkarni

Adwait Kulkarni Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Proud new T420 owner. i5-2410, 4gb RAM, Intel 3000 and HD+screen(AUO not LG/Sam). Reading through the entire thread just made it easier to click on the buy button :) Got mine about two weeks ago. My laptop literally traveled around the globe. China to USA, and finally to India in a relatives luggage.

A big thanks to Hearst for his clean windows install guide. Even though I have a dual boot set up with Xubuntu I still like to have my windows as backup. And I've already paid for it. Xubuntu 11.10 was a great install, it picked up all the hardware and installed in 20 minutes as opposed to the endless driver install and restart cycle I had to do on Windows.

After 2 weeks I have completely fallen in love. The screen could be better but I use my 42'' LCD for movies and the laptop handles that just fine. The screen is great for my primary purpose, programming. More LOC visible and a great keyboard.

I will be starting grad school next fall and bought a thinkpad cause I'm hoping it will last me through those 2 years of college and more.

Linux specific and very very minor grouse. The fn+F5 wasn't automatically detected in xubuntu. I only wished lenovo gave a h/w switch to toggle the trackpad on/off. I use the point. I have large hands and when I'm typing the base of my palm hits the touchpad and my sentences go haywire. It's very annoying so I have disabled the trackpad from bios. Im fine with that but occasionally my mom or girlfriend use my laptop(facebook) and they want the trackpad. I could write a script to fix it but I just haven't gotten down to doing it. My old compaq had that switch, just wish my t420 had it too.

Adwait.

9. jedisolo

jedisolo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know have duel screen on my t420 with vidock. The laptop screen and my 22 inch LCD panel. On the laptop I only have the Intel card.

10. verbtim

verbtim Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, attached is a simple script I use to toggle the touchpad. I have mapped it to Fn+F8, which is the combo for switching the touchpad/trackpoint on and off.

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash

# get current state
    SYNSTATE=$(synclient -l | grep TouchpadOff | awk '{ print $3 }')

# change to the other state
    if [ $SYNSTATE -eq 0 ]
    then
        synclient touchpadoff=1
        notify-send "Touchpad" "disabled"
    elif [ $SYNSTATE -eq 1 ]
    then
        synclient touchpadoff=0
        notify-send "Touchpad" "enabled"
    else
        notify-send "Error" "Couldn't get Touchpad status from synclient"
        exit 1