Thinkpad T420 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by PatchySan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It may be time to start looking for some consumer advice.

It's my recollection that the UK Sale of Goods Act covers manufacturing defects (and why else would hinges go floppy after a few months on a Thinkpad which, we are assured, are built to last). I'm not sure how Lenovo UK can wriggle out of that one. Either they agree to replace the hinges or they admit that Thinkpads aren't built to last. You may also want to notify the credit card company that you used for payment since they may share liability.

Perhaps it's time to write to whoever is boss of Lenovo UK expressing your concern. In the mean time, if Dell are reading this, they will be rubbing their hands with glee.

John

2. takos

takos Newbie

Reputations:
    Just ordered the T420 after going back and forth between this and the x220. Decided I preferred the higher screen resolution after using a x201 for awhile.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2620M (2.7GHz base; 3.4GHz Max Turbo, 4MB Cache)
    Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 - English
    Total Memory: 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM SODIMM Memory
    Hard Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive
    Display: 14.0” HD+ (1600 x 900) LED, W/720p HD Camera
    Graphics: NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 4200M
    Optical Device: DVD Recordable SATA
    Keyboard/Pointing Device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
    Battery: 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (Up to 2.8 Hours Run Time)
    Ethernet/Wireless: Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (2x2 AGN)
    Bluetooth: Yes
    Integrated Camera: Yes
    Color: Black
    Fingerprint Reader: Yes

An extra 4 GB of RAM and a mSATA 64 GB drive are on the way.

3. mkehen

mkehen Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm finally a Thinkpad owner! :) I love it, it's exactly how I imagined it...perfect.
    Although, I already have one dead pixel. (top left corner, so really unnoticeable, meh.)

T420 with HD+ and i5-2540 for a total of $755.01!

I have a question:
    Why would one download and install Windows 7 (from the link in the first post) rather than use the the "Lenovo Recovery" on the computer? Basically, is there any difference?

Also, if I were to upgrade the memory (4GB->8GB) should I just add 4GB or should I get a 8GB kit? (I'm lazy, don't want to search, ahah.) :)

4. Pierre-Alexandre

Pierre-Alexandre Newbie

Reputations:
    Fresh T420i here

Anyone has issues with the Touchpad especially with scrolling? It takes 2-3 times for the Touchpad to accept my 2 finger input to scroll. It's kinda annoying. Tried searching, no cigar...

5. somebodyelse

somebodyelse Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Disable all "SmartCheck" settings in Ultranav (touchpad) driver. Does help :)

6. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope. Works flawlessly for me. Driver/setting issue perhaps?

7. wkearney99

wkearney99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It seems to prefer that you start the scroll with both fingertips parallel to each other. If one finger is higher/lower on the trackpad surface it sometimes seems to miss recognizing it as a scroll gesture. At least from my experience that happens. I tended to have my index finger extended and the second finger slid back about a 1/2". When I started putting them right next to each other the missed scrolling problems went away.

8. chx1975

chx1975 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope but a DisplayPort - HDMI most definitely would. As most DP laptops, this is actually DP++ so it can transmit a HDMI / DVI signal as well. This sort of cable is not even expensive any more (mine was 24 dollars :( ) $5.29 Amazon.com: High Quality Black DisplayPort Male to HDMI Cable Male - 6 Feet / 2M: Electronics here. The only curiosity about the cable is Monoprice not carrying it.

9. TheNew007

TheNew007 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone else's T420 have problems with booting? Mine is only a month old and sometimes it gets stuck in an infinite boot cycle. It goes past system diagnostics but gets stuck before I can choose which OS I want to load. The only way I've been able to stop this is by disconnecting it from any powersource (battery) everytime. I've updated my bios and reset all the settings.

10. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    That's strange, while my T420 does have some warm reboot issues (going to see if the latest BIOS helps in a moment) it doesn't gets stuck in an infinite loop. Are you using the stock hard drive or have you changed it to something else such as a new SSD?