ThinkPad SuperGuide

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Arki, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kungouf

kungouf Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to confirm if creating the recovery discs will permit me to restore the factory pc settings without the hidden partition?
    im thinking about erasing the hidden partition but afraid of deleting it, which is why i would like to read the confirmation that the recovery disk will run indepedently to restore the factory settings?

Thanks!

2. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, the discs are capable of putting the system back to factory settings even on a clean hard disk. It doesnt require the hidden factory partition to work. I have used the restore DVD's on my T400 to put the system back to factory state even with a brand new HDD.

3. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    I don't think I HAVE the recovery disks anymore. That may have something to do with the fact that I ordered my laptop with vista basic (Purely for the sticker. :p), but I dunno.... I did make an image of the original drive though. Somewhere...

4. kungouf

kungouf Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot miner for your confirmation!
    Win 7 here i come!

5. concerned807

concerned807 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you Arki for the awesome setup guide which really made my life a lot easier as first-time ThinkPad owner.

I just got this ThinkPad SL400 2743PBC. I'm doing Windows XP clean install. After series of reboots, however I've still got the followings with question marks under Other devices.

Under Other devices:
    Question mark 1: Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus
    Question mark 2: Ethernet Controller

I made a seperate thread for the above issues. Please let me know if that is most approriate. Thank you again!

6. wiivile

wiivile Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, the Video, Audio, and Modem drivers state that they require .NET Framework 3.0. When should this be installed? It is not a part of SP3.

7. cfink911

cfink911 Newbie

Reputations:
    That's odd - the only one that prompted me for .net 3.0 or higher was the ThinkVantage Power Manager Utility.

Now that this thread has already been brought back to life...I am in the process of doing a clean XP 32-bit install.
    I already did it once before I read about the AHCI setting - I didn't have a single problem when I loaded it with it still set in AHCI mode.

Do I need to go back and load it again with it in Compatibility mode? Is it worth re-installing everything again?

It sounds like the reason for doing it is to prevent BSoD's later on down the road which to me, might make it worth the extra few steps and a full re-install.

Thoughts?

Fink

8. oOo.Manu.oOo

oOo.Manu.oOo Newbie

Reputations:
    Great guide ! thank you very much :)

I've just bought a used x61 without documentation and you make my day !

9. jkhan69

jkhan69 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks very much. A Very good write up.

I have one question, is there anyway one can download the OS. My hard dissk crashed and there is no way for me to access the recovery partition :(

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You might want to post over on ThinkPads.com to see if anyone has a set of recovery discs you could buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.