ThinkPad SuperGuide

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Arki, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColMaki

ColMaki Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great guide.
    I think that for the installation of windows XP you've meant to install the Intel chipset driver and not the system interface driver. The system interface driver exists only on Vista.

And on my x200 I didn't had to install the update for the camera. A message popped out told me that the system is newer. I did installed SP3 and had to uninstall the USB image and install the camera driver.

2. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Lenovo Interface Driver is also for XP.

3. ColMaki

Reputations:
    Arki, Thanks for the explanation.

So when do I need to install the chipset driver? You don't mention it in the installation process.

4. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's the first item to install on the list.

5. ColMaki

Reputations:
    Sorry, missed that.

6. YesMgmtGrp

YesMgmtGrp Newbie

Reputations:
    Lenovo Thinkpad T500 Model 2242-CTO running Windows XP Professional
    There is no external keyboard.
    System and Driver Update has been done

I need to boot to "safe mode with networking" in order to try cleaning off some malware.

I start the computer and begin pressing [F8] per instructions. It cycles through the Thinkpad "press the ThinkVantage button" screen, then beeps twice and provides a black screen stating
    Error
    0210: Stuck Key 42
    Press <F1> to Setup

Press <F1> and I can't find anything about Safe Mode there.

Setup doesn't get get me into Safe Mode so I [esc] and system continues to reboot.

I have tried waiting to press [F8] until the Windows splash screen starts. No Safe Mode occurs.

I have tried pressing the blue [Thinkvantage] button. No Safe Mode is found.

Does anybody know why this is happening? Does anybody have a way to actually boot into safe

7. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd try turning it on and hittin the F8 key until you can't any longer. If you know which files need deleting, you can access the partition using a LinuxLive CD.

8. YesMgmtGrp

YesMgmtGrp Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you ZaZ! It worked!

9. sphin0101

sphin0101 Newbie

Reputations:
    Arki thanks a ton for the step by step guide....I recently purchased a Thinkpad X61s and did not get XP on it....it came with Vista Basic....after that I heard all kind of rumors that XP cannot be installed on a Vista machine....so called Lenovo 3 days after I bought it....then they said not only I have to pay extra $70 for the XP downgrade but also I couldn't get the President's Day sale price....so was really upset....after googling came across this forum and two of your threads...still was a bit apprehensive...but after unpacking my new Thinki yesterday, followed all your procedures step by step (took about 3 hrs or so)....and BLING X61s came alive with a clean XP OS.....hope others will get benefited as well like me from your post and feel all the excitement that I am feeling with a trustworthy old friend Win XP Pro :)..thanks once again

10. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I have a question regarding a clean T60 vista install. There are some drivers that Vista automatically finds such as, ATi X1400, HD Definition Audio, AHCI and Bluetooth. Is it still necessary to install video, audio, Intel Matrix Storage Mgr and Bluetooth drivers (something I don't use on my system anyways)? :confused:

p.s. I have a copy of Vista Ultimate 32 and 64 MS sent me free. Which do you guys suggest I should use?

Lastly is it necessary installing the Chipset driver? I've installed it in the past and did not see any additional entries in system devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.