ThinkPad R51: Wireless=Good / No internet!

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Michael Maddan, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    It hasn't been updated in ages, and is riddled with unpatched vulnerabilities that are easy to exploit. Look at the newer ones here.
    It is vulnerable to the core, antivirus won't save you.
    Yes.
    Pretty much this. Your R51 has not only vulnerable software - which can be replaced by a modern lightweight Linux distribution - but also vulnerable hardware: many Intel CPU flaws going decades back, unpatched since your CPU was ancient when they were discovered. These hardware vulnerabilities are harder to exploit than software, but they are still there. And your R51 being online actually puts other machines on the same network in danger.

alexhawker likes this.
  2. Michael Maddan

Michael Maddan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

3. Michael Maddan

Reputations:
    Thanks Starlight5...I went to the site you suggested, and gave it a long look.

Looks like the R51 will become a stand-alone ' Relic of an Earlier Time '...which is OK with me.

Still: is it not sad that something like this cannot be used owing to the likelihood that it will be attacked i.e., The Animal calling itself "Human".: Destroys just because it can...right?

Geez.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its more because its ancient tech, from 2004, with a basic single core CPU, its not a mater of destroying, its a matter of being outdated hardware running outdated software.
    If you want to keep old software running, you can, just dont connect it to the internet, because it will struggle just to keep up with a now basic website running over https with a basic layout in HMTL5.

Michael Maddan and alexhawker like this.
  5. Michael Maddan

Reputations:
    senso...thanks for your kind comments & reply: I appreciate it.

A note here: I also enjoy acquiring and working on / restoring old timepieces--especially, pocket watches from around 1860 to 1950, and wrist watches from 1920 ( their beginning! ) until today, and a large part of the experience is simply taking an old mechanism that's intact, cleaning away a few decades of dust and old oil, applying a bit of lubricant, and getting it to work again.

And, thus, my interest in this Old R51: I'm really just looking to keep it around and active, and enjoy seeing the ThinkPad up & running from time to time; rather like an old Waltham pocket watch from, say, 1880...it will never run to within a split-second per day like most of the new watches, but it WILL run, and do so to the best of its' ability...

...and that's about the best that any of us can do, is it not?

Sincerely, Michael.