ThinkPad R51: Wireless=Good / No internet!

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Michael Maddan, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Michael Maddan

Michael Maddan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!
    My Old Thinkpad works 100% with an Ethernet cable: Google Chrome works fine. I just started using a "tp-link A1200" wireless router, and although the R51 sees the A1200 and shows a good signal, I receive a 'no internet connection' when I call up Google / Internet Explorer.
    The R51 is 'new' to me...I bought it just a few weeks ago, and have not used XP for many years.
    Although I am not planning to use the ThinkPad on a regular basis (!), It would be neat to get it up & running with a snazzy new wireless router...!

Thanks for taking a look. Michael.

2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Don't connect XP to the internet.

3. Michael Maddan

Reputations:
    Thanks for the sage advice, Alex.
    Now: would someone else be willing to assist me?
    Thanks!

4. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Can you connect to the router to begin with? Default IP is probably 192.168.1.1
    What happens if you type that as web address in IE?

5. Michael Maddan

Reputations:
    downloads...Hello!

Well: I've been using the AC1200 for about a week, and it connects 100% OK with my other PC's, and I have access to the Internet. When I connect it to the R51, the computer 'sees' it, and shows a strong signal. At the same time, however, if I go to Google and try to access, say, my Outlook account, the Dinosaur (!) appears and tells me 'No Internet" .

If I run an Ethernet cable into the R51, everything is 100%...Google / Outlook / etc.

I've heard that the R51 may not recognize the newer technology that the AC1200 uses, and that I might want to try to re-configure the AC1200 to an older 'format'...I'm looking into it now, and will get in touch with "tp-link".

Thanks again: I apprerciate your help.

Sincerely, Michael.

6. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You did not answer my question though. Can you connect to the router's own configuration page from that notebook?

7. Michael Maddan

Reputations:
    I wanted to take just a minute and let you know where I am...I thought it a good idea to give you as much info as I have right now.

So: at this moment, I'm on another PC, and it will be an hour or so until I move to the R51.

When I go to the R51, and see that it sees a signal from the AC1200, what do I do next? With my other PC's, everything's 'done for me', so I've not had to manually enter anything, save for the routers SN.

Thanks again.

8. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need to click on the network name, click connect and enter your WiFi password.

Then, try to access you router page to ensure that there is in fact a connection established.

And yes, a XP machine connected to the internet is not safe at all, and can compromise all your systems, not only that laptop running XP.

alexhawker likes this.
  9. Michael Maddan

Reputations:
    Thanks, senso: I'm learning all the time!

And: ( not to start another conversation--one that I assume has been dealt with in CONSIDERABLE depth! ) just what is it, precisely, about XP that renders it 'not safe'?

Although I have not looked into the topic--and going only on what ( little?! ) I've heard--is not XP vulnerable in a way that newer OS's still are i.e., to opening contaminated emails, and operating without 'good' virus protection?

In other words: this old ThinkPad will never be used to pay a credit card / buy on-line / transfer bank balances / contribute to a Charity / etc. Never!

It may be used for Internet surfing...going to a newspaper's site for stock marker reports / playing chess from a USA-based company ( ICC CHESS ), etc.

So: am I hearing you note that just BEING on the Internet with an XP machine=dangerous exposure?

Please don't get me wrong: I try to learn stuff all the time, and know that every day's different than the day before...so, if I learn that using my poor, old R51 is asking for trouble, so be it: I'll install a few stand-alone games / never connect to the Internet / call it Good!

And: to save yourself time & worn-down fingers (!), perhaps a link to an Article discussing just why XP='Bad', would be a good idea.

Once again: I'm an easy Convert to Objective Reality...really!

Sincerely, Michael.

10. Michael Maddan

Reputations:
    Thanks, everyone: it was neat to see how many folks responded--and, how quickly!

I've learned a few things, and appreciate the experience.

Michael.