Thinkpad P1 is announced

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by shengna, Aug 13, 2018.

1. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 6th gen X1 carbon that has one side vent with a 15W chip and it gets hot, loud and throttles even during basic productivity (outlook, excel, word, PDF, multiple chrome tabs open).

I truly hope they put some serious thought into the cooling solution of the P1 as it has a 45W chip and discrete graphics.

With that said, I reviewed the Lenovo product page and I can't find any exhaust vents. None on the sides or rear...

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Active Cooling is though the back hinge like a macbook pro according to service manual images. Notice the service manual also calls it the "X1 extreme". possibly another SKU with consumer GTX graphics

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/p1_x1_extreme_hmm_en.pdf
    upload_2018-8-22_22-30-37.png

psyang and huntnyc like this.
  3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    No, they will sell 2x16 configs but 2x32 will be functional

4. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great find.

Can't wait for it to be released and see how it does thermally. Based on the manual, it'll have 2 heat pipes and 2 fans. I hope that's enough for the 45W chip and dGPU.

5. psyang

psyang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another article here that describes some of the changes made to help cool the laptop. Also contains some good pictures.

kirth and huntnyc like this.
  6. psyang

psyang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And a new product video. Shows the expanded grills on the bottom, and what looks like a camera shutter so you can block the camera.

Interesting choice to have a touch display - I wonder if it will have a digitizer.

kirth and huntnyc like this.
  7. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, according to the user guide, it will.

psyang and huntnyc like this.
  8. leindurstit

leindurstit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Very interested in seeing how the graphics perform and how well the system deals with heat. It appears, according to this graphics driver package linked second from the bottom (P1/X1 Extreme) that the options are confirmed to be:
    • NVIDIA Quadro P1000
    • NVIDIA Quadro P2000 with Max-Q Design
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design
    Most interesting is that the P2000 is also given the Max-Q moniker, something the nVidia product specs don't refer to. Given that some Notebookcheck reviews of the 1050 Ti with Max-Q put the GPU power consumption between 40-46 watts, and nvidia's quoted TDP for the P1000 is 40 watts, it may put the P1000 in a very awkward spot of being nothing more than a cheaper option if you can get up to 50% better performance while consuming the same or similar amounts of power on the better cards, instead of leaving the P1000 as the definitively cooler-running-longer-lasting option for mobile work and games, as I hoped it would be. That said, nvidia quotes the P2000 (without max-q name) at 50 watts, according to the PDF below from their site.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...THINKPAD-P1-TYPE-20MD-20ME/downloads/DS504901

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/.../quadro-mobile-line-card-n18-11x8.5-r4-hr.pdf

Basically I'm pondering if I should cancel my pre-order of the P1000/FHD SKU and wait for the ability to order a P2000 with FHD screen. I have no need for the 4K screen or touch, as I'm trying to get this machine to replace a P50s, and I still want to have as much battery life as possible.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    huntnyc likes this.
  9. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does xps 15 also have two heat pipes and 2 fans? It throttles a lot. Can tell P1 until first review comes out.

10. leindurstit

leindurstit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, appears to essentially be the same design, as evidenced from this 2018 XPS 15 review from notebookcheck:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/filea...18_8300H_GTX_1050/DellXPS15_9570_Innen_10.jpg

I have no doubt the CPU will not operate at its turbo speed all the time, as evidenced in the P52 review, despite its massive cooling system. But you really need to consider what you define as 'throttling' in that regard. Throttling would, in the traditional sense, be anywhere where the CPU is operating below its base clock speed under load. This is sort-of why I'd prefer to get a P1 with the quad-core processors, and it appears to be a shame that your core disablement settings in the BIOS (according to the manual anyway) seems to indicate that you disable either all but one core, or nothing at all.

While I'm on it, does anyone know if that configurable TDP setting ever made it to modern systems? Intel lists a 'configurable tdp-down' for these processors, of 35 watts, but is there a way to actually force the CPU to abide by that in software?