Thinkpad P1 is announced

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by shengna, Aug 13, 2018.

1. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    I'm very interested in the cooling design - this is a potential XPS killer

3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You mean Dell Precision 5530 killer?

It doesn't compete in same class as Dell XPS because the P1 will start at $2000 + has Quadro graphics (probably $3000 or more for a model with Quadro P2000). It will be more competitive if you have discount codes.

Note the precision 5530 starts at $1500; and you can get one with Quadro P2000 for about $1700. Lenovo will likely match pricing after a few months. They like to do an initial cash grab with their pricing.

4. psyang

psyang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I love the specs, but cooling will be key. Can't wait to hear the first hands-on reviews. That said, it hits the sweet spot for me like no other: 15" screen, < 4lbs, discrete GPU, min 32GB ram. Wow, I thought that was a pipe dream.

5. leindurstit

leindurstit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just wish they could have stuffed more battery in there. They're down a good 17wHr compared to the Precision 55x0/XPS 15. And I'd love to see a non-touch version of the 4K panel, since I'd be paranoid about them shipping some semi-glossy or film-covered thing with compromised quality in one measurement or another. You can't say that just because it is expensive that they will not throw you an utterly crap screen--remembering the X300/X301 nightmare fuel, a contrast ratio barely breaking 100:1 in the worst cases.

And yes, it will be very interesting to see what they did with the cooling system, given their track record of very strangely-engineered thin-and-light 15" machines from the W550s onward (or perhaps even older,) where the CPU and GPU are more than halfway across the system compared to the exhaust. Hopefully they're following something akin to every other hinge-exhausting 15" powerhouse out there with the components centered between a pair of large fans, with a short travel for the heat to go to the fins.

edit: Final potential issue I'm guessing may be with the trackpoint. I haven't had too much hands-on time with the later incarnations of the T460s and onward, but if I recall correctly a common complaint with the even-thinner systems now is the trackpoints are very stiff and unwieldy, compared to the thicker systems.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This looks like a Macbook pro killer for sure! great job Lenovo!

7. leindurstit

Reputations:
    PCM has listings of some models and prices, and most interestingly, they list an i5 8400H as being an option. That CPU looks to basically be last year's i7, being a quad-core with hyperthreading. If you're not getting one of these machines for CPU alone, would definitely be a nice option to reduce heat and power consumption.

http://www.pcm.com/s?rch=&q=thinkpad+p1&pr=1264-9500&sb=asc

edit: This site seems to have more specs in their listings, http://www.shopblt.com/mfgs/LENOVO.html but you need to search for "ThinkPad P1" on the list.

huntnyc likes this.
  8. mightaswell

mightaswell Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really don't need another laptop, but this is exactly what I have been hoping for. I will be interested to see the pricing.

9. leindurstit

Reputations:
    Lenovo Solution Centre has the pre-built SKUs listed with all specs now:

http://www.lenovosolutionscentre.com/usa/portfolio/system/thinkpad/compare

Need to search for 20MD--the model itself does not show on the dropdown to narrow your search result, but on this listing of all models in the database it has them. Nothing new save for being able to place the exact specs with the prices of the pre-built models.

Edit: Some models are available to order direct from Lenovo now: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/ThinkPad-P1/p/22WS2WPP101 Why they have only Windows 10 Home is beyond me...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    psyang likes this.
  10. kirth

kirth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see the Xeon pre-order model listed with Windows Pro Workstation.

I have one question about memory. Reading the specs I see "Up to 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz (Supports up to 64 GB)".
    What does it mean? Will they sell models with a maximum RAM of 32GB and one has to buy another 32 GB stick aftermarket?