Thinkpad or Ideapad?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Heyman92, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heyman92

Heyman92 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been looking for a new laptop for a while and I'm getting closer to making my final decision. I was considering getting a Thinkpad T530 or an Ideapad Y500. I know Ideapads are used more for gaming and Thinkpads are more for business. I'm a student so I'm on my laptop a lot mostly for papers and research but I also game occasionally. I also watch a lot of videos on my laptop netflix, hulu, youtube etc. I do some light video editing and Photoshop as well but I don't do either of these very often. Which laptop do you think would be better for me?

2. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    The fact that you occasionally game, i'd go with the IdeaPad Y400 14" or Y500 15.6". Both laptops have been upgraded to the 750m. The Y400 has 720p whereas the Y500 is FHD and the Y500 comes in SLI,

3. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    The Y500 will give you better gaming performance, on the other hand the T530 is sturdier, has a better keyboard and has better support. Watching videos isn't an issue with either, but I would get the 1080p screen.
    If it were me, I'd prioritise work and reliability and get the T530.

4. Heyman92

Heyman92 Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you think I would be able to video chat (skype) on both as well? I have a separate webcam so the built in one won't be a problem.

5. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    You could do that with any laptop without an issue. Basic tasks like that, as well as watching video or office tasks are all undemanding.

6. MadHater

MadHater Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It doesn't really matter if you play occasionally or not, but the kind of gaming you perform. If you like Crysis and other modern graphic shooters then playing once in a month will still require a decently strong laptop.

7. Heyman92

Heyman92 Newbie

Reputations:
    Gaming isn't the most important thing so I'll probably go with the T530 since I hear its more durable. I just want a laptop that can perform normal tasks without the overheating problems I'm dealing with now.

8. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Good choice.

9. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Assuming you've decided on the T530, you'll want to keep a couple things in mind when buying.

- First: Make sure that you check it out through the Barnes and Noble Gold discount. Create an account and sign in at this link, then once you're logged in come back and click this link for available base models.

- Generally, I'd suggest basing your configuration off of the cheapest base model. Though, if you find you're needing a lot of upgrades, try the same configuration on multiple base models.

- First upgrade you'll want to make sure you have factored in and squared away is the Display. Generally, you should not buy the Lenovo Thinkpad T530 in any configuration that includes the default HD (1366x768) display. You should choose at least the HD+ (1600x900) display upgrade, if not the FHD (1920x1080) display upgrade. The two upgraded displays are nice, in that their resolutions let you fit a decent amount onscreen, and in that they are good quality LCD panels with good contrast/colors. But this isn't just about how good the 1600x900 and 1920x1080 displays are, it's also about how poor the 1366x768 display is. 1366x768 resolution in a 15.6" display makes things onscreen rather large, and 15.6" displays that have 1366x768 resolution tend to be low-grade LCD panels with very poor image quality due to low contrast. This is a type of display that you should make a point to avoid when it is reasonable to do so, unless you require the larger text for eyesight-related reasons. (Though if you have eyesight-related needs for larger text than the 1920x1080 display provides, it's more than likely that 1600x900 will be just fine for you.) And note that the reason the 1920x1080 display is priced so high is that it's a 95%-NTSC-color-gamut display

10. Heyman92

Heyman92 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I order my T530 today. I hope its as good as everyone says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.