ThinkPad Edge S430 Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by wild05kid05, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild05kid05

wild05kid05 Cook Free or Die

Reputations:
    ^ yeah it's available for purchase in June (5th), they would probably have a showcase/press confe in the u.s in may , who knows

Sent from my wholly molly new iPad using Tapatalk

2. villagepark

villagepark Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    is there any particular reason you think it will have gaming graphics cards over professional graphics cards (if this laptop has 640m id buy it in an instant....even without it it would be interesting with some egpu action). Also it seems there is no msata port? Although that is not a huge deal here as we can just replace the cd with an ssd.

3. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    The edge line never had the quadro or firepro cards. And sincerely Im quite happy for it, the current low end quadro is basically a rebrand of last year.

4. villagepark

Reputations:
    Yes having geforce would be much better. If this has the gt640m or amd equivalent I will throw all of my money at it.

On a related note is there any word on if it will have the 4 channel thunderbolt or the 2 channel? Presumably some yet to be announced thunderbolt egpu could use all 4 channels in parallel right? If this were true, and since each channel is pcie 2.0 x4 would this be equivalent to the standard desktop pcie 2.0 x16 slot (basically does 4*x4=x16)

5. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    we dont know where is the bottleneck in the current system, a port or the cable can only support 2 channels. It still delivers pcie 2.0 x4 performance on that single port. what would be interesting is that if they put all that x8 bandwidth that exist in the channel.

6. JTF2

JTF2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The s430 looks very promising. I would not doubt its ThinkPad quality and brand, and I like that the look is business and reserved, but with hints of styling so it doesn't look exactly like, well, your grandparent's ThinkPad.

A GT 650M is promising too, but heck, I'd probably be okay with a GT 630M. 1600x900 matte on a 14", well, as someone already mentioned, it's a dream come true. The only intense usage for me is gaming, so I'm not sure exactly what benefit I could get out of Thunderbolt (I am vaguely aware of it's benefits and use though), but future-proofing is never a bad option.

I think a starting price of $749 is very low, I have extreme doubts that getting a higher 6xxM will come in less than $1,000. It just seems unrealistic given the current pricing of new IVB and Kepler releases, as well as premium pricing for ThinkPad - maybe the GT 630M will be just shy of the $1,000 mark. Purely speculation, I hope I'm proven wrong!

EDIT: Just watched one of the videos... only 2 USB ports? How much does a decent USB hub go for? I've never used one, but it brings up images of inappropriately used wall adapters, makes me a little hesitant to use a USB hub. Can anyone recommend a good one?

7. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    the 630m is rebranded 430m/435m/540m/550m/555m, I would like very much that it would be at least a 640m

8. dp3000

dp3000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well considering that the S430 would most likely be using a dual core IB chip, the $749 seems reasonable. I would prefer a dual core chip paired with a 640M graphics card. That is all lenovo, and no cheap screen please.

9. przemekispolish

przemekispolish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    not a fan of that glossy plastic bezel... its a total finger print magnet and clashes with the matte look of the rest of the laptop.

10. villagepark

Reputations:
    I am somewhat wary that it will even get the 640m. It's in the same position in the lineup as the 6330 of the 420s, except the s430 is significantly thinner, lighter, and has a full size cd drive instead of a slim slot loading drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.