Thinkpad E595 Dual Channel RAM Question

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by mzhoux7, Dec 13, 2019.

1. mzhoux7

mzhoux7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently purchased a Crucial 8GB 2666MHz RAM stick to have a dual channel RAM setup to boost the Radeon GPU's performance. As it was advertised, the Crucial RAM seemed to match the pre-installed RAM's frequency, latency, voltage, etc. However, when installed, there were a few differences which I suspect is making this an asynchronous dual channel setup. Screenshots are attached for reference.

Getting a second matching stick (whether returning the Crucial RAM or buying a second Crucial RAM) and installing it is a bit of a hassle, especially since the E595's bottom cover latches are a bit flimsy. As such, I'd prefer to avoid having to re-install a RAM stick unless the gains are worth it. To that end:

(1) I've heard that having two asynchronous RAM stick can affect stability, though IIRC I've only heard of there being problems when the RAM were of different capacities. Could there be any stability or other serious issues with the current setup?

(2) If I'm running some games on this computer, how much of a difference in performance (e.g., framerate) will there be between this setup and, say, a matching pair of Crucial RAM?

Thanks in advance.

screenshot1.jpg screenshot2.jpg screenshot3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @mzhoux7 1. asynchronous setup shouldn't affect stability
    2. you have synchronous setup. you won't notice a difference.