Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you seen this TongFang or the Asus GL704? They're both ~17 inch notebooks with thin bezels

2. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lenovo promo today with the THINKQUICK5 discount, plus the B&N Gold discounts. 1TB/32GB UHD model is $2,692.40 with shipping in 10 to 12 days. I have work to do so I'm going in now and hopefully don't see any tremendous deals too soon. I know the configurable machines will be there in another two months or so.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    9ac3 likes this.
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can still get %15 off with THINKEXTREME15 on the pre-configured models

4. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
  5. B'midbar

Reputations:
    Wasn't able to do it on the regular Lenovo site or the URL for B&N Gold. Will pick up the phone in the morning and see if that code is still being honored.

EDIT: Update. Support chat this morning, custom units expected in the usual 4-6 week time frame which will line up with Black Friday, Cyber Monday most likely. Really want to pull the trigger on this, but if I could eke out another $200-400 just waiting a few more weeks I will.

EDIT: Toll-free number maintains Lenovo doesn't stack coupons any more, but going in and out repeatedly, adding and removing items from my cart, the B&N Gold site threw a 10% THINKQUICK10 and, via Me.id, let me log in to AARP.org and get a second, additional discount for a total off of $458.35. Got the $2,789 20MF000CUS unit (512GB SSD, 16GB memory, UHD touch panel) for $2,370.65 and a three year depot warranty for another $69 that was also on promo. Have two 1TB Crucial and Samsung Pro 960 M.2 SSDs and will upgrade when I get the unit, along with throwing a second 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM in it and I'm good. Taxes though...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  6. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Which options will be presumably available once the custom config will be open on Lenovo site?

7. ike2k

ike2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, my custom build P52 ordered 9/22 has an estimated ship date of 10/25 I think and arrival to me 11/1.

8. B'midbar

Reputations:
    I was surprised myself having done this a few times in the past (eighteen ThinkPads so far, have also ordered direct from Dell, Sager, Compaq), I got a shipped notification yesterday before the day was out with a delivery date of a week from today.

EDIT: Have a UPS tracking number showing the unit coming out of Greensboro, NC and arrival for next Thursday the 4th.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  9. B'midbar

Reputations:
    If it's the usual you'll be able to specify your drive size, memory, monitor with attendant savings or increased cost dependent on what you choose. I usually like to order these bare bones, with the exclusion of the LCD, then do the drive(s) and the memory myself. Thinking about it more yesterday and for now I'm going to leave the 512GB M.2 in there and throw my 1TB Samsung 960 Pro in the second slot, going old school with apps on the boot drive and data on the second. 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMMs are pretty stable right now at about $162 a stick, but a 15% off koopun at eHoseBags and my eBay bucks after next Monday and I'll be able to snag a Crucial for $115 to bump the RAM to 32GB then it's virtual machine city. I have terabytes of VMs going back fifteen years.

10. B'midbar

Reputations:
    A sidebar question, any ThinkPad out there now close enough in chassis dimensions, footprint that a carbon fiber skin would work for the X1 Extreme with maybe a little bit of straight edge cutting? P50, P51 maybe? Need to look at the physical specifications and see which machine's closest.