Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. leindurstit

leindurstit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The trackpoint and its dedicated buttons, and the number of keys in general, are the two biggest things that kept me from ever considering a Precision 55x0, XPS 15, Zbook Studio (or whatever the equivalent HP machine would be,) etc., as this machine is primarily used on the go. The FHD screen's deficiencies in certain metrics weren't substantial enough for me to consider a less-usable system as a whole. And I'm still worried about the battery life impact of the 4K screen to have considered it. It's difficult to fully quantify that as comparing reviews of FHD vs. 4K-equipped systems tends to not be fair as the FHD systems tend to skew towards having lower-end internals, versus 'fully loaded' 4K systems, but there do appear to be at least a few hours lost in the worst cases when piecing together reviews of XPS 15s between its two screen options.

Honestly if I'm to name one major thing that the machine is outclassed by, its the battery capacity. I can armchair engineer all day of course, but when popping the bottom off, I can definitely envision something closer to Dell's 97wHr battery sitting in here--there is definitely room wasted around the battery, due to the side edges of the bottom case sloping in cutting off usable space. And these speaker enclosures seem to take up a lot of room in spite of how average they sound.

iMbaQ, hb720x, huntnyc and 1 other person like this.
  2. FenderP

FenderP Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    <rant> I just have to say Lenovo is frustrating. While I really hate laptops over 12.5" and weigh more than 3lbs, the X1 Extreme/P1 has the specs I need and it's under 4lbs. What I want is the touchscreen, 64GB of RAM, and the i7-8750H to get the six cores. You can custom build the X1 Extreme with the memory and processor, but not the screen. You can get the already preconfigured X1 Extreme with the screen and the proicessor, but not the RAM (I asked, they won't sell it separately). The P1 has no higher end configs nor custonmizable option right now. It's like they don't want to sell it. </rant>

3. ike2k

ike2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think it will eventually be fully customizable. Early in releases they seem to have limited options for some reason. Give it some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. FenderP

FenderP Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh, I'm sure. It's just annoying right now because the 64GB of RAM is actually 50% off "list" price. I just want to order the base specs, and I'll put in my own M.2 SSDs. The graphics card is irrelevant to me for my needs, I just need the other horse power and the pen-enabled screen sooner rather than later. If Lenovo would sell the 2666 64GB SO-DIMMs alone, I'd be all set. You can't get them anywhere.

ike2k likes this.
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

There will be more custom options in a month or two, going by lenovo release history. (and they will have the "instant savings")

Otherwise, I think you missed this, but the touch screen X1E/P1 is just over 4 lbs:

Weight Starting at:
    • FHD non-touch: 3.76 lbs (1.7 kg)
    • 4K Touchscreen: 4.06 lbs (1.8 kg)
    Its a bit more than 1/4 lb difference. This is due to the full glass panel. The Full HD has much thinner panel with plastic bezel.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. FenderP

FenderP Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I didn't. Carrying something like a Wacom Intuos S separately is a half pound bringing the FHD up to 4.5lbs. 4lbs is about my upper limit, so 1.8kg is in the acceptable range. Everything with this stuff is a tradeoff. I would be thrilled if Lenovo had done this in a 13.3" form factor. I really hate 15" but it's more about weight and funcitionality than size to be honest.

ThatOldGuy and B'midbar like this.
  7. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    14" form factor for me, even 13.9". Haven't had a 15" machine in years and right now have an HP Spectre x360, a Yoga 920 and an X1 first gen, but damn I miss the keyboard.

8. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is disappointing how so few manufacturers are pushing to have large capacity batteries in their laptops. Dell and Gigabyte are pushing it close to the legal limit, but other manufacturers keep delivering smaller batteries in their competing machines. MSI has been improving in this area, simply because their laptops typically had terrible battery life.

My ideal form factor would be a compact 17 inch laptop with thin bezels, which doesn't exist as far as I can tell. The 15 inch form factor is a compromise for me. A hypothetical MSI GS75 would be interesting, but their build quality is still not up to par.

9ac3 likes this.
  9. FenderP

FenderP Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My ideal is 11" - 12.5". I'm currently using the Fujitsu U727 which has a 12.5" screen with 32GB of RAM and a 2TB M.2 drive. It's not enough power (mainly memory). The U procs max out a 32GB,, so even if I could get the SO-DIMMs, I need the H or a Xeon. From a form factor standpoint, that's about as big of a laptop as I want. I had a 14" once. Key word there: once. WAY too big for me. 15.6" is even bigger so ugh. Now that bezels are shrinking you can get more in a smaller laptop size screen wise. That I'm OK with.

If I didn't need the specs, the X1 Extreme/P1 wouldn't be on my radar.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  10. FenderP

FenderP Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Follow up: if you peek at the Lenovo UK site, there are more customizable models. The 4K touch screen adds 4 weeks to the build, so I'm guessing they're waiting in the USA to release versions customizable with it until it's more plentiful. If you want to see configurations with a Xeon, check out the P1 on the UK site.

Anthony Accioly and ike2k like this.