Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm betting that's a product launch spec glitch. I read a ZDNet article specifically about the P1 saying that it supports up to 2TB of storage, and I assume they would have gotten that from an official source rather than making it up -- and even that's probably based on what Lenovo will actually offer from the factory rather than a hardware/firmware limit. But I'm sure it won't be long before someone gets their hands on one and tries to install a 2TB SSD. :)

ike2k likes this.
  2. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Had a quick chat with a sales rep from Lenovo Italy yesterday and he told me that "officially they must say 2TB disks sare not supported". I then asked what that "officially" meant but got no satisfactory and clear answer.
    I'd pull the trigger for the X1 Extreme but my only concern is that this 2 TB thingcould not work for some reason ...
    Thinking about worst case scenario - UEFI/BIOS block - would it be possible to bypass it somehow?
    Thanks

EDIT: re-checking the platform specifications, no mentions about a 1TB drive limit
    http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys...inkPad_X1_Extreme_Platform_Specifications.pdf

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  3. ike2k

ike2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, gotta be a glitch...I think it's just based on what is currently available for order.

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If they have a firmware lock, the only way to bypass would be hacked firmware, but even if someone managed to develop that and kept it current with Lenovo’s releases, I’m not sure I’d be comfortable installing it on my system, unless MAYBE it was open source. But I also don’t see what Lenovo would gain by locking out higher capacity SSDs. A firmware lock to restrict you to SSDs supplied by Lenovo would be one thing, although even that would prompt customer backlash. On that subject, is Lenovo still restricting WiFi cards in firmware? I remember reading that they used a whitelist of cards and in some cases even went so far as to reverse some pins on the card and their slot so that Lenovo systems only accepted Lenovo-supplied cards and Lenovo-supplied cards only worked in Lenovo systems.

5. Nyek

Nyek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will wait to see the temps to make my choice in replacing a X1 4thGen.

I think this will be run hot.

6. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I am slightly hopeful that the i5 8300H + GTX1050Ti MaxQ config might have very slight chance of keeping everything cool. But tripod CPU cooler and only two screws on the GPU heatsink don't give a lot of confidence.

7. psyang

psyang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can now customize the x1 extreme at Lenovo's site, but no 4k monitor option. Some good info on this site as the x1 extreme was just released in Japan. Pics and details about cooling (eg. lots of optimization with Intel's DPTF to improve performance up to 40%, the little bumper on the bottom of the laptop that lifts the laptop slightly also prevents the air intake from just sucking in the warm exhaust from the back of the machine).

BioHazard17 and huntnyc like this.
  8. leindurstit

leindurstit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It seems that the rubber strip doesn't lift the laptop up enough--I can see why they revised the design to try to give the air intake more room to work with. If I'm pushing the X1 Extreme enough to spool the fans up, I can hear the speed of the fans change when raising the back up slightly, as if they can take in air more easily without a desk surface beneath it. There is the standard mesh covering the vents, wondering if removing that would help airflow any.

Also as a side note, it seems possible that the three-point mounting for the CPU is leaving some area of the CPU cooled less effectively than others. If I run 7-zip's benchmark, core 0 on my 8750H will spike up to 98C, while the other five cores will stay in the high 70s to mid 80s. Will be taking apart tonight for a repaste and "careful" reassembly.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. leindurstit

leindurstit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Repasted the X1 Extreme. After 7 minutes of 7-zip's benchmark, core 0 is still the hottest, hitting at most 94C. The coldest core got to at most 83C. Definitely some bias towards some of the die with the mounting mechanism. Attached is a before picture--note the lack of residue on the upper-left corner of the CPU die (CPU on the right.)

Attached Files:

10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is this with undervolting too?

Can you run 3D mark Firestrike or Time Spy in a loop to test CPU + GPU temps at the same time for real world 3D application usage?