Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you know why the storage size is just up to 1 TB per drive? Is it not possible to install NVMe 2TB ssd in order to have 2x2, 4TB total)?

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    probably no oem offering for ssd of that size

3. FenderP

FenderP Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not true, and the P1 supports that. I wonder if they're limiting it in UEFI/BIOS or they are just saying that to differentiate it from the P1.

kirth likes this.
  4. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think that configuration could be offered.

5. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I meant if there was to your knowledge some technical limit for which a 2Tb drive could not be installed.
    I don't care if they are not going to offer it in their configurations cause probably it would be cheaper buy it after market.
    I'm just worried to buy it and then discover it doesn't work for some weird reason.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The last time there was a hardware/firmware limit around hard drive capacity was back in the Windows XP days where you needed SP1 and motherboard support for 48-bit LBA addressing to use drives larger than 137GB (or thereabouts). Then there's the 2TB limit, but that isn't hardware-based; that has to do with MBR vs. GPT partition layouts and some other things (more detail here). I agree with the post above that they're claiming 1TB because that's the largest they're offering from the factory and have officially tested, but there's absolutely no reason to suspect that it's a hard limit. Dell does this same thing in the specs of many of their systems and people routinely install drives with larger capacities than are claimed to be supported, fwiw.

huntnyc likes this.
  7. ike2k

ike2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can't you only install 1/ea M.2 drive in the P1 though? Whereas the X1 Extreme has 2 slots. That I would think would differentiate enough, but who knows.

8. ike2k

ike2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone else anxious for some customization options to appear for the X1E on the Lenovo site? These pre-built aren't doing it for me. Anyone have any inside info on when this usually happens on a newer release?

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don’t understand what you mean by only installing 1/ea in the P1. Both systems have 2 M.2 slots. The P1 and X1 Extreme are basically the same system except for the GPU and certain options (Xeon CPU and ECC memory).

10. ike2k

ike2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you check the tech spec section on the P1 it simply says 512gb m2 and no mention of anything more. Maybe I just don’t have the secret decoder ring on the right setting...that is great news though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk