Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Never even noticed that. My older XPS 15 9530 has them, but my Latitude 7480 doesn't. Where the XPS has Play/Pause, Next, and Previous, the 7480 has microphone mute, NumLock, and Scroll Lock. I guess it's a business vs. consumer design thing, although I personally prefer the media keys. Many conferencing apps like Skype for Business put the key controls in an always on top window, and even without that there's usually a separate keyboard shortcut to mute your mic. I have no use for NumLock on a laptop keyboard that lacks dedicated number keys or for Scroll Lock at all. But I do find the Latitude keyboard much better to type on compared to the XPS.

Points to the X1 Extreme for sticking with dedicated Home and End buttons though, and in the proper location! In an ideal world I'd get the 8-row keyboard of my old Precision M6300 back. Now THAT had a proper layout.

2. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm just noted that and it is really frustrating to see modern laptop without media controls.

3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Especially such a big laptop. This isn't a 12" subcompact that barely has enough space for a compact KB.

4. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice find, thanks! Wow, support for 5K @ 30 Hz on Thunderbolt. That suggests that the display outputs wired to the Thunderbolt ports are fed directly from the dGPU, since the Intel GPU doesn't support 5K resolution. However, the 30 Hz also suggests that the Thunderbolt ports are still using DisplayPort 1.2 rather than 1.4. Bummer. I guess I'll be waiting for the refresh.

And the point about a keyboard with multimedia Fn keys seems dubious. I guess just having volume controls is enough to qualify for that bullet point in their mind?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    too bad you can't buy this without the nvidia gpu

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That may come, although unless it only arrives as part of a next-gen CPU, it would drop the maximum displays down to 3 and remove 5K resolution support. I wish it supported at least low-level charging over USB-C. That way I could just take a travel charger that had 60W USB-C and a few USB-A ports and have everything I need. Obviously 60W wouldn't be enough to run it off AC properly, but I could charge it overnight and probably get through the day on the battery.

8. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    At the very least, You are getting a HDR screen on the 4K models. I wouldn't buy for a month or 2 until the "instant savings" appear and the configure your own model appears. For example, it is a good 25% off the "list price" on the X1 carbon now:

upload_2018-9-1_12-15-58.png

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You forgot perks

[​IMG]

PM me for code, I don't profit off this.

Vasudev likes this.