Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I thought a refresh would wait until the new Ice Lake CPUs with 7mm (EDIT: 10mm, oops!) fabrication, a supposedly much improved GPU, and DisplayPort 1.4 support, but rumor is that even the U Series versions of those CPUs aren’t expected until the end of the year, and the H Series versions typically launch later.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  2. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Ice Lake will be manufactured in 10 nm, not 7. Ice Lake H will most likely come out in mid 2020.

This year, Intel will put out another 14 nm refresh for workstations and gaming laptops called "Coffee Lake Refresh". Those chips have already been released for desktops and Intel has announced that it will release mobile variants of Coffee Lake Refresh later this year.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Nyek likes this.
  3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oops, I knew it was 10. Posted that before morning coffee! :p I just want DisplayPort 1.4 support.

4. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Intel has shown they are willing to update their output ASICs on 14nm, with Goldmont Plus (Gemini Lake) which has HDMI 2.0. That being said, HDMI 2.0 mostly brings parity with DP1.2, so it may have been a less serious backend update.

5. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nyek likes this.
  6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  7. Nyek

Nyek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I doubt next gen Nvidia cards will have a decent RTX card similar to 1050ti with good RT performance.

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Elaborate please? I haven’t been following the RTX lineup closely, but from what little I’ve read it seems to provide a decent performance boost even when raytracing is enabled, and even seems to consume less power, which should be good for battery life and reducing potential for thermal throttling — unless OEMs use that to downsize their cooling systems to go thinner, lighter, and/or cheaper. What am I missing?

9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    August 2019 for X1E2

10. chumley

chumley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for posting this explanation about scale factor changes! This is the first time I have seen an explanation.

I have the 4k display which I run at 200% scaling, and I use external monitors at 100% scaling, and as you said, switching back and forth is a pain. I have resorted to rebooting my computer any time I switch between internal and external displays. Sometimes I even have to reboot twice to get the task bar icons to be the correct size. Fortunately I don't usually switch more than once per day, and I don't need to use the internal and external displays simultaneously, so I can live with it, but it was definitely something that surprised and frustrated me initially.

If I was buying again, I would probably go with FHD instead of 4k, since FHD has several benefits:

- Reduced weight
    - Improved battery life
    - No hassles related to scaling (when using external monitors with 100% scaling)
    - No hassles with oversaturated/skewed colors related to a wide gamut display

The only reason I like the 4k display is for improved text sharpness. That is really nice, but not sure it's worth all the other tradeoffs.