Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. socarwolverine

socarwolverine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's a review of the i5 version, it's a European model so the it's the i5-8300H and not the 8400H like in the US. Sounds like you can't go wrong with either model honestly. Unless you have to have an i7, I'd get the i5 to save a bit and go easier on the thermals, that's my plan with my next laptop.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.339576.0.html

huntnyc and inffy like this.
  2. inffy

inffy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah read that today. Seems to be very good setup anyways. Even often "only" 4core it would be have better performance than the U chips in the t480 line.

I live in Europe and we have both i5 and i7 version configurable on Lenovos site but I think the 8400H is not a really "big" upgrade in performance sense. The i5 basic config is 2000euros here with a special code from Lenovo so really pricey.

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm putting mine through the ringer right now. So far the fan pitch may cause me to send it back though...

Dannemand and inffy like this.
  4. inffy

inffy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How are the thermals and fan noise compared to the XPS? Which config you have?

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    So far thermals and fan noise are worse than the 9570 by a fair amount. I will post up a new thread with benchmarks and what not. Running the i7-8750H, 16GB (single stick), and FHD.

6. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know of a 512GB SDXC that will absolutely work in the X1C? Blew chunks on a PNY so, given their cost, want to hear of one for sure that works before I re-attempt.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, B

EDIT: Answering my own question, a Lexar 512GB 400x Pro UHS-I SDXC works great, writes at 60 Mbps and reads at 80. Now can roll with all my installation media and not fill a quarter terabyte of space on either of my M.2s. Better yet, scored the card on eHoseBags for $50 from a power seller. H2testw validated the card just fine before I started loading binaries to it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  7. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is it true that Lenovo will already release an X1 Extreme version 2 later this year?

8. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    kirth likes this.
  9. Nyek

Nyek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wouldn’t bet on that happening personally, but a dock that didn’t require two separate AC adapters would be nice. I’ve found I actually prefer the cable dock solution. It allows more flexibility around how you arrange your desk, the dock doesn’t take up nearly as much space on your desk when you don’t have a laptop there, and of course it’s compatible with more systems. My wife has a USB-C dock on her desk that she can switch between using with her work Lenovo and personal Dell laptop.