Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah ok. Looks like StarTech now has a bunch of TB3 docks available -- a bit too many, IMHO. But I've had consistently good experiences with other StarTech products, so they might be worth looking into.

UPDATE: Ok, I broke them down a bit:

TB3DK2DPW -- Only works on Windows because it uses an older TI chipset that Apple decided not to support. No USB-PD.

TB3DKDPMAW -- Same as above except it also works with Macs and offers a paltry 15W over USB-PD, which StarTech notes can trickle charge some laptops.

TB3DK2DPPD -- Same as above but adds 85W USB-PD.

TB3DK2DHV -- More built-in video output connectors, no audio or front USB-C outputs like above options, but still has 85W USB-PD.

TB3DOCK2DPPD -- Similar to TB3DK2DPPD, but adds SD card reader and more USB-A ports, switches separate line-out and mic connectors for headset jack.

TB3DK2DPM2 -- Similar to above, with built-in M.2 NVMe slot, and slightly different port setup.

TB3DKM2DP -- "Mini-dock" that only has dual DisplayPort, USB-A 3.0, and Ethernet. No USB-PD.

TB3DKM2HD -- "Mini-dock" that only has dual HDMI 2.0, USB-A 3.0, USB-A 2.0, and Ethernet. No USB-PD.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does the X1E have a physically clickable trackpad? I just saw The Verge’s review where the author commented how awkward it was to have the clicker buttons above the touchpad. Maybe the author didn’t realize that those buttons were meant to be used by TrackPoint users, but I wondered if it might have been because the touchpad can’t be physically pressed down on the bottom edge to be clicked. Can it? I realize there’s also tap-to-click, but I’ve never liked that feature and always disable it.

3. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    35% off on lenovo usa....10-15% off lenovo ita...wtf...

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    He was just ignorant. The TrackPad can be clicked.

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks!

6. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What GPU temperatures are folks getting with this laptop?

With a -130mv undervolt to the CPU core and cache, on the 8750H, Intelligent Cooling disabled, system optimized for performance, best performance power mode, the latest Nvidia Drivers, and BIOS 1.15, I am getting up to 93 degrees Celsius on the 1050 TI Max-Q after three loops of Unigine Valley.

7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Have you repasted yet? Would not recommend stock paste on any of these thin laptops.

8. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've yet to find a skin for this machine, carbon fiber (my preference) or otherwise. Anyone know of anywhere to get one?

EDIT: In lieu of locating one (so far), got a Honeycase leather folio stand (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVD6Z1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that's actually for a Yoga 730 (which is also 15.6") and it fits perfectly. Dimensions between a Yoga 730 and an X1 Extreme are a couple of millimeters off, but it's very close, close enough you can't tell it wasn't made for it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Little bit of shameless self-promotion, but I did a quick review of my P1 and compared it frequently against the XPS 15 9570 in today's podcast here:

10. inffy

inffy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    XPS 9570 user (well not anymore) and I just returned it for the full refund. Couldn't take the bios etc stupidities from Dell.

Looking for a new laptop then, which will be my main workstation and also something i will be lugging to trips (tech shows etc).

The X1E has me interested as I really like Thinkpads and have had few T4XX series before.

Has anyone got the i5 version with FullHD panel? That is the one that I am thinking, not sure if i just should get the i7 model which would be little pricier. It's really pricy where I live in any config which is the main "problem" for me.

I was thinking maybe going with the T480 but I kind of thinking of needing the extra power as in future might need to do some video editing.

So is the i5 version a wise decision or should i just eat the dust and get the i7. How are the fans (if someone has used both) for normal usage (word processing, excel, web browsing etc normal) and also with some higher work load (adobe lightroom, photoshop, picture editing, video edit). Also interested more on the battery life

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018