Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. rm501

rm501 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

Has anyone upgraded the RAM on the X1E themselves?
    There are only pre-configured units available in my country so I'm forced to manually upgrade.

Would these modules work?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352503326913

I believe the Samsung EVO 970 2TB drives will work fine.

Thanks

2. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, pretty easy.

They should, yes.

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only dock I'm aware of that provides full power to this system is the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock (link), which plugs into both the TB3 and AC adapter connector and is itself fed by two separate AC adapters. That was discussed early in this thread a bit. If you're ok only getting 60W from a dock (or potentially no power at all, i.e. keeping the regular AC adapter connected as well), then there are some other solid dock solutions out there, depending on how much you want to spend and what connectivity you need, particularly in terms of number of displays and maximum resolutions. Plugable and StarTech both make some good options. My wife uses a Dell WD15 with her work T480 and personal XPS 13, both of which work fine with it.

I'm personally a fan of the Dell TB16 because unlike the "regular" Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock, the TB16 is much more flexible about how its available video bandwidth is allocated across its outputs, whereas Lenovo's dock dedicated an entire DP 1.2 channel to its USB-C/TB3 upstream port, leaving everything else to split the other channel, which really limited available display resolution options if you wanted to use just DP and HDMI instead. However, based on this table for the Workstation Dock, that appears not to be an issue anymore. The Workstation Dock will apparently drive dual 4K displays in any combination of outputs, or a single 5K display over the TB3 "output", or somehow dual 4K displays and a 1440p display all simultaneously. That last one really surprises me, because it suggests that the system uses DP 1.3 or better over TB3, although I believe that would require the Intel Titan Ridge TB3 controller, which I didn't think this system had. But it must, because the dock only connects to a single TB3 port on the laptop, which only allows two DisplayPort channels, and dual 4K + 1440p requires more bandwidth than 2x DP 1.2 channels can provide. In fact it normally requires more bandwidth than the entire 40Gb TB3 connection, before allocating anything for other traffic. Could it be using DisplayPort DSC? If so, very interesting, but then I'd expect it to support even higher-bandwidth display configurations. Strange....

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    B'midbar likes this.
  4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unless you need things like PXE boot support and MAC address passthrough, you can arguably pass on the proprietary Ethernet adapter in favor of a USB 3.0 / USB-C adapter. As long as you're willing to sacrifice one of those ports for this purpose, of course. Or there are USB Ethernet adapters that also include a passthrough USB 3.0 port so that you don't lose a port, but you'd still be losing a powered USB port and gaining an unpowered one.

5. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Yeah I'd rather buy the adapter than waste a powered usb port. It's $31. I still haven't ordered the computer yet. How long is the quote the salesman gave me good for? - and then perhaps they'll reduce the price for black friday...or maybe someone will come out with something even better while I'm procrastinating!

Thanks a lot for the dock suggestions!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Perks is back at 40%+ again

[​IMG]

B'midbar likes this.
  7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm that the X1E/P1 supports DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C?? Other than the lack of media keys, the swapped Fn and Ctrl keys, and just-ok matte display, all of which I can live with since this system will be used with a dock most of the time, this system ticks all of my boxes, and these discounts on a brand new system are insane. But I'd really like to have DP 1.4 support for futureproofing. I know that current Intel GPUs don't support it, but it looks like the USB-C/TB3 display outputs are wired to the dGPU instead, so if this system also has the Intel Titan Ridge TB3 controller, DP 1.4 support would be possible.

8. rm501

rm501 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

Thanks for the response.

I notice you have the 4K display unit and you use VMs.
    I myself will be using VMs, however, I read there are issues using a 4K display with VMware.

I also remote desktop to older servers, and there is no scaling at all (tested with my HTPC connected to 4k TV).

Are you having any issues?

I'm still on the fence regarding FHD or 4K.

Thanks

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think it was Server 2012 R2 / Windows 8.1 that first allowed RDP sessions to cause the RDP host to adopt the scale factor of the client you were connecting from. Maybe that was added in Server 2012 / Windows 8, though. But whichever it was, if you RDP to an older OS than that, then as mentioned above, there is no scaling, which makes the session virtually unusable from a 4K laptop display. You'll end up needing to drop the resolution on your display before you start the RDP session. As for performance, this thread was recently posted in the Dell forums about guest video performance when running on a 4K host display on a recent XPS 15. Maybe not an issue depending on what you need to do inside the guest, though. It sounds like the user in that thread was using their guest as their primary work environment.

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I personally will be going FHD if I pull the trigger, for two key reasons:

- Scaling issues are still fairly prevalent even on the latest release of Windows 10, simply because so many applications don't scale well, including some MS applications.

- Even if all of your apps scale well, scale factor changes are still a huge pain. For example, if you log on while using the built-in 4K panel at 200% scaling and then later switch to external displays that use 100% scaling, Windows will still render internally at 200% scaling and use GPU scaling to adjust the rendered image downward, which doesn't look great. Same goes if you start with 100% scaling external displays and switch to your 200% scaling 4K display. Windows only changes its internal rendering scale factor when the user session begins, and it gets set based on the scale factor of the display that's designated as primary at that time. But having to log off and back on every time your display setup changes is obviously inconvenient for someone who might dock and undock frequently during the day. And that doesn't even address trying to use the built-in display and external displays simultaneously. That will never look good unless you can use the same scale factor on all displays. However, if you have external 4K displays that would use 175-200% scaling, then you should get the 4K internal display to better match those.

- I still don't like glossy displays, especially when I see one next to an anti-glare display.

chumley and huntnyc like this.