Thinkpad Carbon X1 Extreme (upcoming)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by iMbaQ, Jul 31, 2018.

1. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    huntnyc and iMbaQ like this.
  3. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wish the battery capacity was higher, but otherwise it looks good so far. It should last 8+ hours for ordinary usage, hopefully. Will wait for reviews, as well as discounts, given the exaggerated MSRP on Lenovo's site. I hope the FHD display is competitive with the XPS 15 9570's FHD display.

huntnyc likes this.
  5. vs40

vs40 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    P1 disassembly, X1E will have the same internals layout.

6. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was thinking the same too. I was hoping they could bring us some 500nit screens too like their X1 Carbon series, but it seems they are offering pretty much the same as Dell. The option to include an LTE chip is not here either. I still don't like the Fn/Ctrl key's being swapped on these machines, so it will have to really shine in the QC and cooling department for it to steal the crown from the XPS 15 imo - I was hoping they would bring more than the 9570 since it came out a lot later.

9ac3 likes this.
  7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Same layout as Dell XPS 15 9570 (below). I'd give the Dell small edge in thermal management for having a little larger and thicker plate areas. Performance will probably be similar enough to most reviewers.
    [​IMG]

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The product page says it supports up to 4x 4K displays. The Intel HD 630 built into the CPU only supports 3. Is the HDMI output perhaps wired directly to the dGPU to get the fourth? Or might ALL display outputs except perhaps the internal panel be wired to the dGPU? Having the dGPU active while an external display was attached would reduce battery life, but it would definitely add capabilities. I'd make that trade-off.

Related to that, I'd really love to know whether it has the new Thunderbolt Titan Ridge controller rather than the old Alpine Ridge. I'm holding off buying my next laptop until I can get one that can support HDR external displays, which requires DisplayPort 1.4, which also adds support for DisplayPort DSC that I wouldn't mind having. DP 1.4 arrived with Titan Ridge, but it also requires GPU support, and Intel's current GPUs don't support it. Might have to wait until this system is refreshed with 9th gen CPUs, unless somebody can confirm both that it has the Titan Ridge controller and that the dGPU is directly wired to the TB3 outputs.

And oh what I wouldn't give for a 4K anti-glare display. I also wish they'd implemented a way to charge this system over USB-C/TB3 as well despite the >100W power draw, like Dell did with their WD15 and TB16 docks to support their 130W systems. The ThinkPad Thunderbolt Workstation Dock is sort of an awkward solution that involves plugging 2 AC adapters into the back of it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is my single biggest pet peeve of Lenovo systems. Fortunately they offer a BIOS option to swap the function of those keys, which helps a LOT when I've had to use Lenovo systems, but it's still not perfect because the Ctrl key is physically smaller and therefore not as easy to trigger. The most irritating part to me is that Lenovo knows they've got it backwards here, because not only do they offer this BIOS swap option unlike any other manufacturer, but their own IdeaPad line has these keys in the proper arrangement. I guess they're too worried about upsetting the vaunted reputation of the ThinkPad keyboard and rocking the boat with the longtime faithful and their backwardly trained muscle memory.

10. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Besides the Fn and Ctrl swap, I also dislike the lack of media controls. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but it is nice to have. Keyboard will definitely be better than the competition, and one of the benefits of the larger size, compared to the X1 Carbon, is that the touchpad will be larger. In my brief time spent with the 5th generation Carbon, the small touchpad was annoying.